Vortex Scopes? Any Good?

Dang!
Didnt mean to cause hair pulling and biting. Just shopping for a scope and needed input from other long range hunters.
naa this is debating.vortex scopes are decent optics, i just personally think they are asking too much for what i've personally seen out of em.alot of guys love them so maybe the ones i've looked thru had something going on with them,but i've seen the same thing going on with their binos as well.

its defintally not your fault snowfighter, this is just 2 guys with oposite experiances with the same product.

i really dont know much about greybull, i defintally dont know enough to weigh in with a opinion.

Just my unscientific SWAG opinion:

If you looked at a Viper that was $800, I wouldn't shop there anymore. If you shop you can get a Viper 6.5-20 for low $300's to $400ish.

I am far from an expert, but I own a couple of Monarchs, a Viper, A couple of older VXII's, a VXIII and a Zeiss Conquest. I would put the Viper on par easily with the Monarch and VXII and **** close if not on par with the VXIII. The Zeiss is obviously the best of the lineup.

I think I paid $325 for the Viper, IMO it is good glass for that kind of money.

This opinion is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Viper, wiper, schmiper. Just get an S&B and be done with it. Get me one too.:)

My only critical comment on the PST is the crappy zero stop. It's about as positive as a wad oif bubblegum stuck on a hot sidewalk.

The Viper PST and the regular Viper are not optically comparable. The PST is better. I've owned and used both. The regular Viper is comparable to the VX3 and Conquest. The PST is a bit better. It's a fantastic scope for the money, and if you can't justify buying a used NF with your $1400, then a PST would be a great alternative. The Sightron SIII line is another great optic for the price. Other excellent options include the Bushnell FFP Elite Tactical and the SS HD.

So I called vortex talked to Tim and he confirmed that all viper scopes are Japan parts assembled in phillipines. Don't know anything about Vegas, but seems to be hater. Just playin.

vegas is 100% wrong, no chance he is right.

Vegas, I know you got your info from a source you consider high in the vortex ranks, but I've talked to people much higher and am probably higher myself and your source is just wrong

you are incorrect,it is all made in china.nothing that vortex offers to consumers is made in japan. maybe assembled there but i assure you it is not manufactured there.

Again, assuring on someone else's opinion, not knowledge you obtained yourself, firsthand.

I hope you are basing political choices on firsthand knowledge and not opinions...... Just say'in...:)

vegas is 100% wrong, no chance he is right.

Vegas, I know you got your info from a source you consider high in the vortex ranks, but I've talked to people much higher and am probably higher myself and your source is just wrong

This is the way I see it from a manufacturers standpoint (I'm a manufacturer btw.....)

Vortex manufactures nothing.
Vortex imports the products they offer for sale.
Vortex maintains a domestic R&D group to tune development and dictate changes/improvements to the line which is made offshore.
Vortex is aware of quality differences concerning country of manufacture, consequently, they balance profit against build quality to obtain a reasonably priced product with a reasonable profit margin.

The last statement is why anyone is in business. The only 'non-profit' ventures are churches and establishments of higher education...supposedly.

While I don't necessarily agree with the premise of offshore manufacturing of any hard goods for a lot of reasons that don't need to be aired here, bottom line is that most optical and electronics based hard goods are manufactured offshore and the ones made here, are manufactured from imported parts. Thats how it works.

I suspect that if you turn over the lap-top you are posting on or look at the label on your desktop, you'll find that it wasn't made in USA, but rather some Pacific Rim country and with great probability, China.....

Optics (as well as many other discretionary purchases) is/are based on what the buyer perceives as a quality item, no matter where it's manufactured at.

Country of origin has little to do with that perceived quality. What the purchaser is comfortable with and what the purchaser feels is a good price versus performance is the important factor.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.