Vortex Scopes? Any Good?

I am very pleased and absolutely love my two (soon to be three) Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP EBR-1 MOA Reticle scopes. They track great, nice glass, and the other features are amazing for the price!

i just can't justify paying 700+ dollars for a chinese made scope.i haven't seen a vortex yet that had the quality to match their sticker price. the vipers i looked thru had clarity and brightness that mandated a 250.00-350.00 price range. they fell way way short of their asking price.

i just can't justify paying 700+ dollars for a chinese made scope.i haven't seen a vortex yet that had the quality to match their sticker price. the vipers i looked thru had clarity and brightness that mandated a 250.00-350.00 price range. they fell way way short of their asking price.

Interesting comment and apparently very biased. Got an axe to grind per chance..... Because I found just the opposite to be true. I put a Vortex side by side to a Leupold VX4 at the club and many members looked through both, with good eyes and not so good eyes and everyone agreed that there was no discernable difference, except price.

Care to elaborate or do you prefer to assume the 'dog in the manger' stance???

sure i'll elaborate,i recently went with a friend to a gun shop to look at some scopes for my friends new varmint build up.we was allowed to handle any of the scopes in the showcase so we had the clerk bring out a series of mid to high end scopes they had in inventory. we did a comparision test between a nikon monarch,a vortex viper,a new sightron,a burris black diamond,a pentax lightseeker,one of the new weaver scopes, a bushnell elite 6200 series,and a zeiss conquest.all scopes had a max magnification of 20-24 power. we were both in agreement that the vortex came in dead last on clarity and brightness, yet was priced higher than the nikon,the pentax,the weaver and the bushnell.if i remember correctly the vortex had a price tag of almost 800.00 and me and my friend figured it was just mis priced.the gun store clerk assured us that it was in fact the correct price. the clarity and brightness seemed on par with a bushnell trophy that they handed me for comparision.no dog manger stance on this end,just our results from a scope to scope comparision.

I compared the Vortex Viper pst 6-24x50, to Nikon Monarchs, leupold VX-3 and Mark 4, also zeiss conquest. For me the Vortex glass was better than the leupold even the mark 4 and just a touch behind the Zeiss.For the Price The PST blew away the scopes I was looking at in features. One thing I have noticed though is looking through a bunch of vortex scopes is some seem better than others for some reason.They have Japan Glass as far as I know.

I must have 2 good ones then because both mine are clearer and crisper than the Mark 4 Leupy I myself and about 20 other club members compared them to.

Granted, most of the comparison people are older (like me) and a few probably had a bit too much to drink (a favorite pastime at the club). A good, upstanding sportsmens club must have a well stocked bar.......:)

I've been accustomed to paying well over a grand, closer to 2 grand, for an optic with a gold ring so the Vortex was a nice alternative and considering how hard they are to get (long wait times), others feel the same way as I do.

But again, beauty (in this case optical performance) is in the eye of the beholder.

Candidly, I think all scopes are overpriced unless they cost less than a hundred bucks and I'd buy everything Tasco but I do need to see what I'm shooting at......:)

i dont know why folks dont read a little before acting like a expert.

the pst is not made in china, the crossfire is. the 100 dollar scope is made in china, the 700 dollar scope is not

the 700 dollar scope would probably be
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/vortex-viper-pst-4-16x50-riflescope-with-ebr-1-moa-reticle

i dont know why folks dont read a little before acting like a expert.

the pst is not made in china, the crossfire is. the 100 dollar scope is made in china, the 700 dollar scope is not

the 700 dollar scope would probably be
Vortex Optics - Viper PST 4-16x50 EBR-1 MOA
the pst is in fact made right in shenzen china. some of the vortex optics are assembled in different countries,but all the parts including the glass are made in china.no acting here fellas,i was on their shooting staff for 2 years.

why is it all 4 of my pst's say made in the philippines plan as day on the bottom?

manufactor locating

crossfire=china
diamondback=philippines
viper=philippines
viperhs=philippines
viper pst=philippines
razor=japan

if you were on their shooting staff why did you have to go to a shop to evaluate their quality?

thats where they are assembled,not manufactured. this was clarified earlier on in the thread. any sticker other than china is where the optic was assembled. all the parts including the glass is china.i'm no longer on the staff and the vortex viper was one of the scopes that my friend wanted in the comparision.all of your questions were answered earlier on.

i dont have any questions. i say in the vortex vs zenray thread where your "clarified" earlier in the thread. forgive me if i dont see some random guy on the internet saying "x is true" as clarification.

bottom line is its very very rare that you ever see a bad word about the vortex scope, company, customer service. dig around and i bet this is one of the only bad reviews you find and this is the only man anywhere on the net ive seen that has stated as fact that they are made in china

wow i feel special now. sorry to upset vortex lovers but this is the info that i received from my regional distributor when i was a staffer. i do see alot of vipers for sale in the classifieds and used on ebay, alot of other brands as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.