Vortex Razor HD Light Weight Offering

I'm thinking about getting the 3-15 scope at 16 ounces. It's 7 ounces heavier than the Leupold VX2 3-9x33 ultralight. But it is a better scope in pretty much every way. I'm looking for something with parallax adjustment and ideally a bit more than a max power of 9. Are there any other scopes that have parallax adjustment and at least 3-9 zoom and weigh less than 16 ounces?

I'm thinking about getting the 3-15 scope at 16 ounces. It's 7 ounces heavier than the Leupold VX2 3-9x33 ultralight. But it is a better scope in pretty much every way. I'm looking for something with parallax adjustment and ideally a bit more than a max power of 9. Are there any other scopes that have parallax adjustment and at least 3-9 zoom and weigh less than 16 ounces?

I highly doubt you will find lighter w/ parallax adj, esp w/ that range of magnification. My cheap buckmaster side focus 4.5-14x40 is 17.7oz.

The best I've found is the Leupold VX2 4-12x40 AO but I'm not sure if that's going to be a capable scope at long range or not. Weight is 13.2.

Midway has these in stock.... Im wanting to pull the trigger on one as it exactly what i have been asking for years. Has anyone put these through the paces?

I've had one on order direct from Vortex since the release announcement but haven't gotten mine yet. They told me late March when I pre ordered. Hopefully soon as I already sold the scope that used to be on my rifle! If anyone pulls the trigger throw up a review! Specs look perfect for what I wanted on my backpack setup.

3-15x42 MSRP: $1099

Look's pretty interesting.

What could we expect for the real world price? Anyone familiar with the Vortex MSRPs versus actual purchase prices?

Thanks. Looking at the Midway site now...

Someone share their impressions after looking thru one of these 3-15x42s - please. I'm enticed.

my leupold vx3 LR 4.5-14x 40mm cds is 16.3 oz but have not had it beside vortex hd to compare lens or light. but good amount of travel available. Swarovski 3-18x 44mm is close in weight also if remember correctly

I have been begging for the razor glass in something other then a heavy bulky scope. When i seen this tonight i started scouring the web for info and there just isn't any yet.

My vx3 was better then my pst but that was to be expected. It really showed in the color that was allowed to come to the eye. In my VX3 the blues were blue'er and the greens were green'er. If the razor is better then my vx3 i would be happy. Even if its not quite vx6 quality. Its not the same price point anyways.

I just bought a new 7mm rem and its going to be my go to hunting rifle from now on and im looking for glass for it now. This is really rocking the boat.

I have the Swaro Z5 3.5-18X.

This Vortex scope is much less expensive, has more functional turrets straight from the factory, and may have equally comparable glass. It's given the Razor designation, so that's supposed to mean good glass. What I don't know is how well the Vortex scopes endure heavy recoil on muzzle-braked rifles. I need a scope for a .338 Lapua Improved.

I know they have an outstanding warranty. But that's of little consolation when the scopes not available or usable during the period of time it's gone for warranty coverage. Or worse yet, if it fails on a remote hunt.

I am expecting this scope to be at least on par with the VX6 line in terms of glass quality. From what I have been able to read, which is mostly Vortex staff talking about this scope (so take it with a grain of salt), is that this scope is really packed with excellent features and great glass. My guess is that it will live up to expectations.

Phorwath, you are right on about wondering about durability. I think that will be the deciding vote on the true quality of this scope.

Phorwath, you are right on about wondering about durability. I think that will be the deciding vote on the true quality of this scope.

I hate being the guinea pig. Been there done that with rifle scopes in the past.

I'm pretty sure the glass will be good. I could always return the scope if it has coke bottle bottom lenses. But it takes time to determine durability and even longer to develop a consensus. I can afford to wait a couple months to get some initial owner feedback. But with respect to durability, I may be have to guinea pig it... :)

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.