Vortex Razor HD

6.5Express

Anyone out there tried this spotter? How does it compare to others? How is it to field judge antelope or couse at long distance? How 'bout mule deer early in the am or late in the pm?

Help is appreciated as my Dad and I are looking for a new spotter and this seems reasonable based on the scopes I've heard it compared to.

Thanks!gun)

JMO but that spotter is pretty darn expensive, and when you start spending that much money I personally worry about resale value. vortex tends to discontinue and blow out their products all the time. a buddy without taking my advice last year bought a vortex skyline ED spotter he paid like $750 for it. last time I looked cameraland was blowing them out for like $450.

contrast that to the leupold gold ring spotter I bought 6 years ago, I recently sold that for more than I paid for it new. vortex also makes nothing everything is contracted out and made to spec by factories in china or japan, vortex is basically a marketing company nothing more nothing less. if I can going to kick out that much money, I will pony up for leupold, leica, zeiss, or swaro.

Anyone out there tried this spotter? How does it compare to others? How is it to field judge antelope or couse at long distance? How 'bout mule deer early in the am or late in the pm?

Help is appreciated as my Dad and I are looking for a new spotter and this seems reasonable based on the scopes I've heard it compared to.

Thanks!gun)

I would look into a Pentax spotter. You won't be sorry!

Jon

I've got a leupold 12-40x60 HD now. I like that I can pack it around in a backpack without the weight of a bigger spotter and have been able to do a decent job of field judging / finding mule deer. BUT, when I was trying to field judge antelope at long distance this fall I couldn't do what I feel is possible from the bigger (80mm+) objectives. Some of the reviews that I've read about this scope compare it to swarovski, leica, etc. I know there's no free lunch, but I don't know that we can swing a $3,000+ spotting scope.

For the way that we hunt, it would be ideal to have a big spotter for long distance work AND the smaller leupold HD for packing. I know when I finally decided to step up to swarovski bino's, I've never regretted it - not for a fraction of a second. But, I just don't think we can do the $3,000+ 80mm HD Swarovski (doesn't mean I don't want it).

I've never looked through a Razor spotting scope in the field, just stores and I loved them. I did own a pair of their high end 15x56 Kaibab binoculars and they were wonderful. They were way easier for me to look through than the Swaro's since they had a smaller inter-pupillary distance and the image was top notch. I bought them used, and the diopter adjustment needed to be changed every time I refocused which I knew shouldn't happen.

I called Vortex, they said there was definitely a problem, they emailed me a FedEx label to send them the binos, and I had them back on my door 8 business days later. Their customer service is excellent.

If you can get some real world hands on experience with the Razor and it fits your needs than I would buy it without any reservations. However, if you think a Swaro, Zeiss, or Leica provides a better image to your eyes and you feel better about going with an older, more established company you'll be happy with that choice as well.

Look into a used swarovski spotting scope. I bought mine seven years ago sent it back in and they serviced the scope for free. These were seven years of hard use I hunt about 100 days a year. The only thing they charged me for was to change the glass on the objective side, it cost me $100 to have brand new glass again. It is good as new. I have the 20x60x80mm scope.

montanio, that is not the HD is it? How is it in low light when zoomed? Except for bright days (before the heat waves start in) my leupold 12-40x60 is useless past 30 power for anything past 1000 yards.

spent a fair amount of time behind the razor HD and my swaro 80 HD. The razor is very close to my swaro. I mean very close.

Its not hd. But it does great low light and is very good at long distance. I have no complaints with it. I field judge deer and elk out past a mile.

For the money I think the Razor HD is awesome.
I have used two different HD's and it has become my favorite spotting scope

The Razor is amazing and is easily the best bang for your buck, imo. I had a Leup. non-hd Gold Ring prior to the Razor, and I can tell you the two are not even in the same league. If you don't mind packing a larger spotter and don't wanna pay the stiff prices of 'the big 3' then the Razor is for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts