Vortex Razor HD Light Weight Offering

I just swapped the scope from my 7 Rem Mag to my .280 AI for this season and was just about to start tightening down the rings, and noticed what is most likely a metal shaving in the scope. So now, I am sending it back for them to fix and send back. Should take them about 3-5 business days, so I should get it in time for my hunt. While that wasn't a recoil issue, it is an issue nonetheless and wanted to post it on here. As always, Vortex has a great warranty and it'll get taken care of pronto. But a little disappointing from their Razor line. Perhaps I am just hard on glass. I've sent my Premier back twice, a Zeiss back 3 times, Nikon binos back once, and Viper HD binos back once, and a buddies ATACR back once. Will keep everyone posted, but I expect zero issues with them taking care of me.

See that's my concern warrantys are great but rather not need to use it!! I was Lea inf tword the Vx6 but like the feature and reticle of the vortex. Dam! Don't know what to do

I just swapped the scope from my 7 Rem Mag to my .280 AI for this season and was just about to start tightening down the rings, and noticed what is most likely a metal shaving in the scope. So now, I am sending it back for them to fix and send back. Should take them about 3-5 business days, so I should get it in time for my hunt. While that wasn't a recoil issue, it is an issue nonetheless and wanted to post it on here. As always, Vortex has a great warranty and it'll get taken care of pronto. But a little disappointing from their Razor line. Perhaps I am just hard on glass. I've sent my Premier back twice, a Zeiss back 3 times, Nikon binos back once, and Viper HD binos back once, and a buddies ATACR back once. Will keep everyone posted, but I expect zero issues with them taking care of me.

I have never had to send a leupold back in over 40 years of.using them

See that's my concern warrantys are great but rather not need to use it!! I was Lea inf tword the Vx6 but like the feature and reticle of the vortex. Dam! Don't know what to do

Read phorwath s post #138. on the previous page,
Myself and friends have 4 of these HD lh scopes with zero issues so far.
Bottom line is every manufacture has faults at sometime so buy what you want and pay attention to the warranty.

I just want to re-iterate it's not a mechanical issue, just a piece of metal shaving internally that didn't' get blasted out before purging with Argon, and is showing itself now. I've had this happen as well with some top end scopes. The only scope I've seen sent back for mechanical issues was a NF. The rest all mentioned above were sent back for the same issue, metal shavings visible inside. I don't mind Leupolds for a traditional hunting scope, but as soon as you start talking turrets, dialing, and glass quality, they don't even enter the conversation until their Mark 8 line, and no one in their right mind would pay asking price for a Mark 8. I've never sent a Burris back, but I don't consider them a great scope.

I examined one yesterday, I liked the weight for sure, the reticle was HSR4, which I didn't mind, it was SFP, so only accurate hash marks @ 15x. I personally thought the turrets felt a little soft on the clicks, so if you dial in the field, they might be tough to feel, and almost no audible click sound, which I also didn't care for. I am use to my Leupolds with target turrets, -- very audible & very positive feeling clicks. I took it outside and scoped out a hillside about 500yds. away, and while I thought the glass was good, I didn't see any difference from my VX-2-6x18x40 , in fact I'd say my Leupold seems a bit sharper. I'm in Canada, and the sticker shock was $1340.00, instead I have a Leupold 6.5x20x40 1" tube, VX-3I ordered with target turrets/ free CDS dial/ & AO for $950.00, weighing in @ 17.50z. & i'll bet the glass is as good or better than the Razor HD. Hope this helps.---Titegroup.

I've searched high and low for the answer to the question; does this scope have variable or constant eye relief? Can anyone help

I've searched high and low for the answer to the question; does this scope have variable or constant eye relief? Can anyone help

While I can't give you numbers or specs, I can tell you it's long and almost unusually long. Only thing I can compare it too is an Athlon Cronus. It's mounted further forward than any other scope except the Cronus. I would actually mount it about 1/4 further forward but I am out of space to do that. Sorry I don't have any hard numbers for you. If you find anything, please post back with the info.

Right now the only Vortex scope I'm interested in is the AMG. It's light enough for me and has the highest quality in the Vortex line. It will go on my .300 Win mag Browning A-Bolt.

As you can guess from this statement I want a scope with mil/mil a FFP features. I use a Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 for competition and am used to calculating with mils.

My great shooting 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator has a mil/mil, FFP SWFA 3 - 15 X 42 scope so I want to keep things the same with all my long range scopes.

Eric B.

"...this model features a second focal plane reticle design." (From the Vortex manual)

That, gentle readers, means this scope MUST be cranked to max power to get accurate reticle subtension readings.

A FIRST focal plane, like my SWFA 3 -15 x 42 scope (2/3 less money than this Vortex), can read mil sub tensions at ANY power setting but my old Burris Black Diamond scope must be set at max power, meaning it's an SFP reticle.

SFP scopes are cheaper to make than FFP scopes. I prefer FFP, mil/mil scopes for competition and hunting. My $1,800. Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 tactical scope for competition is not the most expensive its class but certainly is an excellent FFP scope with a great H59 reticle.

If you have the disposable income the new Vortex Razor HD AMG at 28.8 oz. is what you want. But it's over $3,000.! It's entirely made in the USA, every screw, lens nut and bolt. It has a new design of reticle lens bracket that allows it to be a 30 mm tube with almost the same brightness as Vortex's 34 mm tube Razor HD scopes.

Iv just finished the very same comparison.
I found the Razor to very good across the board. The adjustments on mine are ok, the indents are positive enough to feel and got a little better after some use, the windage is actually better than the elevation but they are a ggod step up in feel on my Z5 balistic turret. Dialing around the grid for 20 minutes I couldnt find any issues at all, it dialed perfectly in line with the vertical post (unlike my VX6) and as close to .25 as I could measure. Magnification ring is a little stiff and there is a faint noise on rotation but acceptable. Glass is very good. I had an old friend , a camera buff and understands image quality far better than I, he was looking at a z5 for a new rifle. After some time spent with both hes ordered the Vortex. Comparing the two as the light faded I couldn't separate them, I used some glossy magazines with different font sizes at 40yds, if I couldn't read it with the razor the Z5 gave me no advantage. The Razor was a slightly less forgiving with eye position but it only showed up at the edges, get it right and the picture is very nice all the way across. I finished by looking at some alpacas about 150 yds away. Again by the time It was to dark for the razor the Z5 was of no more use.If I had to call it Id say the z5 glass by the slimiest of margins but that might just be my swarovski bias showing through. I like the HSR4 ret. This of course is s sample of one but to me, bottom line, given the price difference over here of nearly $1000 NZ , the razor is far better value.

looking forward to your impressions.

You all should be compering the razor to the z3,not the z5 which is $200 to $500 more than the razor. The razor and the z3 are in the same price range

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts