Vortex Razor HD LH

Mcarso1

Anyone using one of these and have thoughts and insight on them? Pros and Cons? Thinking about one on my 280 for the whitetail woods and clearcuts.

Anyone using one of these and have thoughts and insight on them? Pros and Cons? Thinking about one on my 280 for the whitetail woods and clearcuts.
I have one that i used for about 6 month and I'm selling it for $1700. I liked it but I thought it had some issue with coming back to zero so I sent it back to Vortex and they checked it out by two different Technicians and it worked perfectly for them in all there test. Then the Technician call me and we talked about what was happening with me, he told me that when you set the return to zero screws that they have found that you need to get after them and really snug then down. I had to confess that after i had taken the scope off my gun I went to take off the silencer i had on it and it was just a little lose. I worried about this from the get go because I have experienced this before that they have to be tight at all time or it will throw your shots off. Now for the reason why I'm selling it, While i was waiting to hear back from them I found a deal on a ATACR NF and bought it.

I've had a 3-15 LH with the HSR-4 reticle. I think it's a very underrated scope. It's got good FoV, good DoF, nice eye box, and it's light. The turrets are not very good, but it's not really intended to be a "dialing scope". That said, I have dialed mine quite a bit and shoot it past 1,000 yards without any problems.

I'd bet Randy is talking about a completely different scope since the most expensive Razor LH has an MSRP of $1,100 and go for way less in real life.....or maybe he's jus an optimist asking $1,700 lol.

I had the 3-15 HSR-4 ret. For the price and weight it is a very good option in a 1" tube. If I could have changed anything, I would have liked more positive clicks. They were a little mushy. I much prefer the Leupold VX-5HD 3-15 in a 30mm tube.

I have 3 of them and they've served me well. Yes the turrets are a little mushy but haven't been a problem as I've used the hash marks for hold over more than I've dialed.....although the turrets do track and return correctly. I have them them on a Cooper Backcountry 6.5x284, a Custom Rem 280, and Custom 300 Wby.....these are all light to medium weight carrying rifles which is the reason I purchased these scopes. I've shot with hash marks and dialed out to 600 yards with no problems. I also have a couple of the Leupold VX-5HD CDS scopes which I really like, as well, but I like the HSR-4 reticles in the Vortex better!

My bad, I miss read the Razor HD (LH).
Mine is the Razor HD Gen II $2499.99 Retail.
I had a Gen2 Razor for a bit as well. I know a lot of guys don't really like the zero stop or have troubles setting it, but I prefer it. Mine tracked perfect, and I ran it out to 1,400 yards once a week for about 6 months and had zero drama. I recently sold mine then decided I missed it and bought another :rolleyes: I'm sure you'll like your ATACR though!

I have 3 of them and they've served me well. Yes the turrets are a little mushy but haven't been a problem as I've used the hash marks for hold over more than I've dialed.....although the turrets do track and return correctly. I have them them on a Cooper Backcountry 6.5x284, a Custom Rem 280, and Custom 300 Wby.....these are all light to medium weight carrying rifles which is the reason I purchased these scopes. I've shot with hash marks and dialed out to 600 yards with no problems. I also have a couple of the Leupold VX-5HD CDS scopes which I really like, as well, but I like the HSR-4 reticles in the Vortex better!
If you haven't already, try running your turrets up and down a bit. Mine are about as 'broken in' as they are gonna get - way better than out of the box, but still a lot left to be desired.

I picked one up about a month ago and placed it on 6mm sitting in a KRG Bravo stock. For me the jury is still out on it. I agree with everyone about the turret "clicks" being soft. It does track well and is clear, light and has good eye relief.

One downside with the recital is that on the windage the first hash mark is at 2MOA. not that it a bad thing, just something that needs to be considered when making wind holds.

I may move the scope over to a more "hunting" rifle and go back to a more tactical based turrets for my application.

I picked one up about a month ago and placed it on 6mm sitting in a KRG Bravo stock. For me the jury is still out on it. I agree with everyone about the turret "clicks" being soft. It does track well and is clear, light and has good eye relief.

One downside with the recital is that on the windage the first hash mark is at 2MOA. not that it a bad thing, just something that needs to be considered when making wind holds.

I may move the scope over to a more "hunting" rifle and go back to a more tactical based turrets for my application.
In my opinion that's what they are......hunting scopes not tactical scopes. That's what I purchased them for. My rifles used for strictly long range shooting/hunting wear other optics!

I agree, that is their primary design and I figured I would give it a try and see what I thought.

I believe it has its place and I will be moving it to a platform more applicable for its design. I just wanted to see how it would play in a more multi role application.

In reality it is a nice scope, light and clear with a reasonable zoom range of 3 to 15 which covers a wide range of distances.

I've had the 3-15 for 3 years now and love it for a hunting scope. I have abused it pretty well on the sxs and hiking. Its still holding true. Good glass for the money

I also have three of the Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 scopes and their optical quality is very good, and that's coming from someone that isn't all that big of a Vortex fan.

As has been mentioned, the turret clicks could certainly stand to be a bit more positive, but it seems to have zero affect on their tracking and I've never had a single problem with them holding zero.

If you're looking for a lightweight scope with a good holdover reticle that has very good optical quality and won't break the bank, you'll be happy with a Razor HD LH 3-15x42

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.