Vortex Razor HD LH vs Razor LHT

Sorry! Wife has had me running around the house with a tool kit and a list all day!
heres the first half with iphone pics

VORTEX RAZOR LHT 3-15X50

For the purposes of this review, comparisons of features and glass clarity at a known distance(235 yards) will be against the Leupold vx5hd 3-15x56 rifle scope.

When I decided to do this, I was asked to be pragmatic and not show my loyalty to either brand. In the nature of full disclosure, my precision rifles wear Gen 2 Razors as well as SB PM2, Minox ZP5 and NF. My hunting rifles are mostly Leupold. Since the razor is billed as a crossover scope, the second focal plane determined its competitor. The VX5HD was selected due to its feature similarity and price point.

I will start with the obvious.

Upon opening the box, I was underwhelmed given Vortex's history of over building and over packaging their razor line. Gone are the days of fully die cut, foam inserts. Industry standard white foam ocular bell and eye piece supports hold the scope in place against two solid stabilizing cut outs. Not a big deal at all, I have just become more accustom to the luxurious presentation of old.

The fit and finish is typical Vortex. Even coating on the one piece 30mm main tube, perfect in every way. I'm sure within a day or so after using it I will be able to report on its durability, I drop things. The lettering from stem to stern is readable and well applied. No surprise there.

Some hunters may find it a little more on the shiny side, but it's all personal preference and in my opinion, not enough to bust a hunt.

After the initial smiles and views of my garage wall wore off, I placed my Talley Mfg. Tactical rings in a level fixture I've made on my workbench. After checking the fixture for level and making a slight adjustment, I hand tightened the ring bases onto the fixture and laid my new Vortex scope in. No need to lap these rings. They are matched and serialized to their caps. Knowing my eye relief, it was easy for me to place the rings at the perfect distance apart. Once I had the base and scope level with one another, I tightened them down and placed the scope on another fixture I have mounted to a tripod. I have found that before I mount an optic to a rifle, I can get a better idea of the optical clarity etc standing and adjusting my relief as I go. It's also far less intimidating than a rifle since I have neighbors. Imagine a surveyor.

I have a known set of distances on my street that allow me 50, 100, 200 and 235 yard references. I feel that these are more than adequate for initial impressions.

The first thing I like to play with on a new scope is the diopter. I fully believe that without the correct setting to the shooters eye, the rest means nothing. I unscrewed, yes unscrewed, the diopter locking ring and began to twist. Only took a few seconds before it was clear and the reticle in focus.

The reticle. There has been a bit of grumbling about it. The LHT 3-15X50 offers a milradian reticle with the G4i BDC reticle. Imagine a German 4 reticle with subtensions. I personally love this reticle. I'm also a huge fan of the German 4. There are other reticle offered, but in this objective size, this is it for now. The 42mm objective model has a reticle that is more reminiscent of the Nightforce MOAR for reference. The Vortex LHT has an illuminated center dot. As a hunter who relies on dawn and dusk movement, it's a nice feature. Most of my hunters have illuminated rets and I prefer a simple dot. A dot draws the eye to the center and with the correct illumination setting, does not overpower the image. There is a line where too much illumination is a bad thing. Where that setting is depends on the end user.

The mag ring. The Vortex has a slightly stiff, but smooth mag ring that glides through 3-15 power. I fully expect this ring to get easier to turn as it is used. I plan on hunting this scope on a carbon rifle, so a stiffer ring could lead to my rifle shifting more than I like it to in the field. All in all, I have come to expect Vortex to challenge the end user on the mag ring in the Razor line. No surprises here, but a throw ring would be a good idea, especially in gloves.

Now I feel that the turrets are going to be a point of contention with most shooters. The top turret is where the T in LHT comes into play. I am a set and forget hunter. My max distances rarely go north of 300 yards so I am no stranger of a holdover. For shooters who need to dial their shots, this turret is fantastic for the price range. Pop up locking turret, tactile clicks, audible enough for a hunter and from what I can tell so far from a tripod test at 100yards, repeatable. A box test will be done when I can get range time. All in all, the elevation turret is a home run. So with good, we must have the bad. For this scope, it is the windage turret. Small, mushy and antiquated are three adjectives that come to mind. This is where the underwhelming side of the features comes in. The industry standard for reset has become a pop style turret. I prefer them. Toolless adjustments are a must for me, zero stop setting excluded. Simply less parts to lose. I'm going to say they could have done better, especially considering the amount of play between clicks on the windage.

The final impression before comparing the LHT to what I feel is it's closest competitor is image quality. Here, we have a stumble before the stride. The following will be describing image color, contrast, clarity and depth of field above 8x. Below 8x will be discussed at the end of this portion.

Image color is rich. A little more on the cool side of the spectrum, but as a woods hunter, I prefer that. Greens are true, blacks are dense and the red of a stop sign was striking. All in all, color is a home run above 8x.

Contrast at 8x and above is stellar. No difficulty distinguishing anything at 235 yards. Every leaf stood away from its neighbor. Great color separation and little to no chromatic aberration like we see in the Vipers.

The clarity from 8x to 15x with a slight mirage was fantastic for a sub $1500 scope. I wouldn't expect it to best a Schmidt unt Bender Zenith, but that's in another league all together. The average end user will not see an issue with higher magnification performance from this scope.

The depth of field is impressive. Very little flattening of image at distance. In my opinion, the depth of field in this scope above 8x is some of the better performance I have seen in this price point.

As I stated earlier, all of my observations were based on 8x and above. I will refrain from any more criticism until I do the side by side with the Leupold VX5HS 3-15x56, in my opinion it's closest competitor.

Included are four photos from my phone. My final review will include photos take. From a fix positioned digital camera.

Pay attention to the low power photos. The Leupold is the duplex reticle, the Vortex has the G4iBDC.

THANKS FOR READING MY RAW REVIEW! When the full review is ready, I will post it in its entirety.

Jason

Attachments

• 9D36B235-83DB-41E5-BDB7-1C9B1661578F.jpeg
    9D36B235-83DB-41E5-BDB7-1C9B1661578F.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 436
  • 151DFB12-3FE6-43A8-942D-0294F0C546C3.jpeg
    151DFB12-3FE6-43A8-942D-0294F0C546C3.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 435
  • C96086C5-1CE7-49CE-B81E-D2ADEC154A0A.jpeg
    C96086C5-1CE7-49CE-B81E-D2ADEC154A0A.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 462
  • 5E337690-1219-438A-9907-153FBD15B269.jpeg
    5E337690-1219-438A-9907-153FBD15B269.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 439
  • 35CEC87F-694A-4035-BA79-AFFE84C3C4FC.jpeg
    35CEC87F-694A-4035-BA79-AFFE84C3C4FC.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 457
  • 0A307A8F-E720-4366-A597-963904A6543E.jpeg
    0A307A8F-E720-4366-A597-963904A6543E.jpeg
    62.3 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Sorry! Wife has had me running around the house with a tool kit and a list all day!
heres the first half with iphone pics

VORTEX RAZOR LHT 3-15X50

For the purposes of this review, comparisons of features and glass clarity at a known distance(235 yards) will be against the Leupold vx5hd 3-15x56 rifle scope.

When I decided to do this, I was asked to be pragmatic and not show my loyalty to either brand. In the nature of full disclosure, my precision rifles wear Gen 2 Razors as well as SB PM2, Minox ZP5 and NF. My hunting rifles are mostly Leupold. Since the razor is billed as a crossover scope, the second focal plane determined its competitor. The VX5HD was selected due to its feature similarity and price point.

I will start with the obvious.

Upon opening the box, I was underwhelmed given Vortex's history of over building and over packaging their razor line. Gone are the days of fully die cut, foam inserts. Industry standard white foam ocular bell and eye piece supports hold the scope in place against two solid stabilizing cut outs. Not a big deal at all, I have just become more accustom to the luxurious presentation of old.

The fit and finish is typical Vortex. Even coating on the one piece 30mm main tube, perfect in every way. I'm sure within a day or so after using it I will be able to report on its durability, I drop things. The lettering from stem to stern is readable and well applied. No surprise there.

Some hunters may find it a little more on the shiny side, but it's all personal preference and in my opinion, not enough to bust a hunt.

After the initial smiles and views of my garage wall wore off, I placed my Talley Mfg. Tactical rings in a level fixture I've made on my workbench. After checking the fixture for level and making a slight adjustment, I hand tightened the ring bases onto the fixture and laid my new Vortex scope in. No need to lap these rings. They are matched and serialized to their caps. Knowing my eye relief, it was easy for me to place the rings at the perfect distance apart. Once I had the base and scope level with one another, I tightened them down and placed the scope on another fixture I have mounted to a tripod. I have found that before I mount an optic to a rifle, I can get a better idea of the optical clarity etc standing and adjusting my relief as I go. It's also far less intimidating than a rifle since I have neighbors. Imagine a surveyor.

I have a known set of distances on my street that allow me 50, 100, 200 and 235 yard references. I feel that these are more than adequate for initial impressions.

The first thing I like to play with on a new scope is the diopter. I fully believe that without the correct setting to the shooters eye, the rest means nothing. I unscrewed, yes unscrewed, the diopter locking ring and began to twist. Only took a few seconds before it was clear and the reticle in focus.

The reticle. There has been a bit of grumbling about it. The LHT 3-15X50 offers a milradian reticle with the G4i BDC reticle. Imagine a German 4 reticle with subtensions. I personally love this reticle. I'm also a huge fan of the German 4. There are other reticle offered, but in this objective size, this is it for now. The 42mm objective model has a reticle that is more reminiscent of the Nightforce MOAR for reference. The Vortex LHT has an illuminated center dot. As a hunter who relies on dawn and dusk movement, it's a nice feature. Most of my hunters have illuminated rets and I prefer a simple dot. A dot draws the eye to the center and with the correct illumination setting, does not overpower the image. There is a line where too much illumination is a bad thing. Where that setting is depends on the end user.

The mag ring. The Vortex has a slightly stiff, but smooth mag ring that glides through 3-15 power. I fully expect this ring to get easier to turn as it is used. I plan on hunting this scope on a carbon rifle, so a stiffer ring could lead to my rifle shifting more than I like it to in the field. All in all, I have come to expect Vortex to challenge the end user on the mag ring in the Razor line. No surprises here, but a throw ring would be a good idea, especially in gloves.

Now I feel that the turrets are going to be a point of contention with most shooters. The top turret is where the T in LHT comes into play. I am a set and forget hunter. My max distances rarely go north of 300 yards so I am no stranger of a holdover. For shooters who need to dial their shots, this turret is fantastic for the price range. Pop up locking turret, tactile clicks, audible enough for a hunter and from what I can tell so far from a tripod test at 100yards, repeatable. A box test will be done when I can get range time. All in all, the elevation turret is a home run. So with good, we must have the bad. For this scope, it is the windage turret. Small, mushy and antiquated are three adjectives that come to mind. This is where the underwhelming side of the features comes in. The industry standard for reset has become a pop style turret. I prefer them. Toolless adjustments are a must for me, zero stop setting excluded. Simply less parts to lose. I'm going to say they could have done better, especially considering the amount of play between clicks on the windage.

The final impression before comparing the LHT to what I feel is it's closest competitor is image quality. Here, we have a stumble before the stride. The following will be describing image color, contrast, clarity and depth of field above 8x. Below 8x will be discussed at the end of this portion.

Image color is rich. A little more on the cool side of the spectrum, but as a woods hunter, I prefer that. Greens are true, blacks are dense and the red of a stop sign was striking. All in all, color is a home run above 8x.

Contrast at 8x and above is stellar. No difficulty distinguishing anything at 235 yards. Every leaf stood away from its neighbor. Great color separation and little to no chromatic aberration like we see in the Vipers.

The clarity from 8x to 15x with a slight mirage was fantastic for a sub $1500 scope. I wouldn't expect it to best a Schmidt unt Bender Zenith, but that's in another league all together. The average end user will not see an issue with higher magnification performance from this scope.

The depth of field is impressive. Very little flattening of image at distance. In my opinion, the depth of field in this scope above 8x is some of the better performance I have seen in this price point.

As I stated earlier, all of my observations were based on 8x and above. I will refrain from any more criticism until I do the side by side with the Leupold VX5HS 3-15x56, in my opinion it's closest competitor.

Included are four photos from my phone. My final review will include photos take. From a fix positioned digital camera.

Pay attention to the low power photos. The Leupold is the duplex reticle, the Vortex has the G4iBDC.

THANKS FOR READING MY RAW REVIEW! When the full review is ready, I will post it in its entirety.

Jason
Awesome
Thanks for taking the time to post your review.
I'm very interested in hearing about the most important test.. Tracking

Awesome
Thanks for taking the time to post your review.
I'm very interested in hearing about the most important test.. Tracking
I've already received several emails about that. I will say that die to the turret set up, elevation will be the only thing I can be critical of when we get there. I don't have enough faith in the wind age dial as it sits. It's like a less impressive version of the Minox ZX5 set up.

Looks like private range access has been obtained for the weekend.
should be able to get everything, content wise, nailed down by Sunday.
Gotta keep the wife occupied until then by doing house work!

Ya in playing with mine, the mechanics are all very impressive coming from my Viper HS. The main downside is that windage turret. The G4 reticle is very clear and nice, really draws my eye to the dot. But it makes holding wind hard, and the windage turret is pretty mushy. I'm not sure you'd feel clicks at all with gloves on.

Glass is beautiful compared to my viper though. Very clear. The eyebox is MUCH more forgiving than my viper at max zoom. Much more overall clarity and less aberrations. It just feels so clean it is a definite pleasure to look through. The parralax knob markings are pretty close to actual ranges to my eye.

Illuminated dot is flawless. The UI is ok, I haven't had much chance to use it for real. You just keep pressing the button and it cycles from low to high and back again. The auto shutoff is nice, but if you needed to swap the illumination fast it might take a bit longer than a dial.

The top turret is maybe the nicest I've ever felt. Better than my old viper for sure, better than my dad's Zeiss, and better than my boss's Atlas. I haven't ever had the chance to play with anything really high end, but this thing feels really nice. I've only boresight it so far, but with that ballpark, I installed the 0 stop just to test it. It stops you dead solid exactly 0.5 mil below 0.

Might need to check my setup, but after boresighting I only have about 7.5 mils of elevation adjustment which only gets me to about 1000 yards or a bit more. So an elevated rail wouldn't be bad for the real long distance hunters. I don't ever shoot that far. The little range on my land only goes to about 650-700 yards so that is about my max.

Vice'd the gun and brought the turret all the way up and down a few times, and the crosshair returned to the exact same spot, so bodes well for tracking. Again, no shooting yet, but so far so good.

Overall looks and feels great. Can't wait to try it out. Need the mud to calm down first or I'll just get the quad stuck going to the target.

I've already received several emails about that. I will say that die to the turret set up, elevation will be the only thing I can be critical of when we get there. I don't have enough faith in the wind age dial as it sits. It's like a less impressive version of the Minox ZX5 set up.
Right on
Elevation is all I really care about, I always hold for wind and the 5i reticle looks solid for that.

In stopping heartbeats, if you need to dial for wind maybe you should get closer......
There's always someone who forgets what site they're posting on..

Ya it is unfortunate they don't have the hashed reticle option for the 50mm
I have both reticles in my older model 3-15x42 HD LH. The guns I have them on are used for holdover shooting only, I don't do any dialing with these, and the BDC reticle is ok for the most part, but I do prefer the HSR reticle a little better.

Sounds like only "packaging reviews" on here so far, kinda surprising. A few of us on the 'Fire and Rokslide have been shooting them and flogging the turrets for a couple weeks and have been updating reviews as we go if anyone is interested.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.