Vortex PST 4X16-50 ?

Secondranch

I picked up a Vortex PST recently my first to me what I consider a good scope per my usual $200 dollar scopes. I am having issues with the Ocular focus it seems I can get the vertical crosshair in focus, but then the horizontal crosshair is out of focus or visa versa. It is really noticeable when using the illumination. Is it me or could there be an issue with the crosshairs?

There was an article I found a link to about parallax causes and effects and properly mounting a scope and I lost the page doing a search I cannot seem to find it back and do not remember who the author was? I do remember at the end of the article he wrote " as Rushbo would say...this is from GOD...da : Any help finding this article back would be great.

Thanks

I believe the reticle is etched into a glass element ? This is not wire reticle.

How do you focus it ? I was told to point the scope at an open patch of sky, close the eye, open it for just 1 second and see how the reticle looks. Then close the eye, adjust the reticle a little, open the eye 1 second then close it again.

Apparently if you look at the reticle more than briefly, the eye will try to adjust to get it in focus and that defeats the object which is to have it naturally in focus. So you have to look at the reticle against a plain background just very briefly then close the eye, wait a while and repeat. otherwise you can drive yourself nuts.

I do not recommend using the illumination to focus the reticle. Focus it with natural light, then see how it looks in real hunting conditions with illumination. I find there are very few times other than night hunting that I will use illumination.

What Westcliffe said and the reticle is etched into the glass. Wires are old school.

I took the batteries out of both my PST's. No need for an illuminated reticle far as I can tell.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.