VIDEO... Charging Bear Pistol Test

I wonder how effective OODA would be for griz.

I have tested there theory on highly trained Dobermans used for estate patrol. With success I might add.
In my experience with police depts. and Sheriff depts.. None use Dobermans . They back down with forceful confrontations . They use German Shepherds, Bouvie's, and Melanwa's. The spelling is wrong on last two. My uncle had a German trained Shepard that was trained in German commands . The dog bit so hard it broke 3 of 4 canines . On one of top fangs it had a San Bernardino Co. Sheriff's Star. Dog scared the crp out of me just looking at him. I remember one command . Plotz. Sit. It slept In the backseat of patrol car that the back seat was taken out of in the garage. Automatic door opener on belt. He was a great family dog but when on duty he was all biz. He had him even after dog retired until he died. His name was Irk. Whatever that name means in German.

Last edited:
That, in response to your first comment here. They had to get 3 shots off before getting that lion down. While yes, one shot did the job, they still needed 3. Getting 3 shots off is far better than getting 1 off. I feel a lot safer knowing I can get a second, third, and maybe even a fourth or fifth shot off while staying on target compared to one and then maybe a second. If the first shot misses from a heavy recoiling hard to handle gun you could have a hard time staying on your feet. I'd rather stay on target and keep shooting as many rounds as possible as opposed to having to recover from every shot. I haven't been charged by a bear but I do hunt in grizzly country and I try to stay prepared, this is the solution I've come up with.
That 3rd shot by lion's reaction was in the head. Brain ceases all ceases. Heart or lungs. They will keep coming.

That 3rd shot by lion's reaction was in the head. Brain ceases all ceases. Heart or lungs. They will keep coming.
Particularly with an adrenaline laced, intended charge. The biggest issue with Lion or Grizzly is that both species have a skull structure that well protects the brain which magnifies the difficulty of an effective shot. A handgun is certainly better then nothing,,,,,But, if you survive, you were born under a lucky star!
FD151791-B673-43FF-8B23-688E6EC4DF03.jpeg

He was a great family dog but when on duty he was all biz. He had him even after dog retired until he died.
My brother in law was K-9 County Sheriff many years ago and had a shepherd. When in back seat of cruiser, do NOT approach even if you roughhoused with him in backyard 15 min earlier! They have an internal switch that just changes their behavior from wagging tail to rip your throat out in a second. When time to retire, he was able to keep at home. Now Buried in backyard with nice marker. He was a difference maker breaking up disturbances especially domestic. The look he gives shuts down even the worse people. We need more out there.!

If I was in grizz country a lot, I would definitely have a dog companion as early warning radar plus one heck of a diversion which just might give precious seconds to provide better shot placement.

Or just have a Colt M203 Grenade Launcher at ready!

When I hunted Alaska I carried a S&W 4 inch Model 29 44 mag with 300 gr Castcores. At that time I shot a lot of pistol competitions and trained LE so even shooting on the move at moving targets was possible. I need to practise now lol, and lots of it. The same is true with rifles and shotguns. But for bear we always figured stopping a charging griz was only going to accomplished with a CNS shot. So that's how I trained. It looks like that lion was taken out with a CNS shot. So volume of fire might help but I'd rather rely on a CNS shot. I've read bears still could finish their charge even with half their brain gone. I wouldn't want to find out. Great video, he stopped a moose with that Mossberg. And his shots looks really good with it.

My brother in law was K-9 County Sheriff many years ago and had a shepherd. When in back seat of cruiser, do NOT approach even if you roughhoused with him in backyard 15 min earlier! They have an internal switch that just changes their behavior from wagging tail to rip your throat out in a second. When time to retire, he was able to keep at home. Now Buried in backyard with nice marker. He was a difference maker breaking up disturbances especially domestic. The look he gives shuts down even the worse people. We need more out there.!

If I was in grizz country a lot, I would definitely have a dog companion as early warning radar plus one heck of a diversion which just might give precious seconds to provide better shot placement.

Or just have a Colt M203 Grenade Launcher at ready!
Good story on brother and canine and very true 👍🏻I'd like to hunt with a trained K9.

I just came across this Guy's charging bear testing system and thought you Guys might enjoy it... he even has another video of doing it with rifles and shotguns... it's a true eye opener as to how many accurate shots that might be possible during a 2-3 second charge.

I think you did a Great job. Some people just don't appreciate anything. You showed me the auto loader is the way to go. Thanks Bill Lang

I'm sure that Allen realized that he would get NO shots off with a rifled weapon if it were slung on the shoulder in that short time frame.... so he had to use those weapons in a ready position... which also means.... that if he did the pistols in a ready position... then he might have gotten off twice the amount of rounds.... so that sounds like it favors the pistols in both situations.... ready or non-ready.

from what I've heard from some folks who had bear encounters involving dogs.... is that the dogs bring the bears to the master in most cases, without the dogs there most likely would not have been a bear charging you .... most bears hear you & you'll never know they were even there because they will avoid crossing paths

from what I've heard from some folks who had bear encounters involving dogs.... is that the dogs bring the bears to the master in most cases, without the dogs there most likely would not have been a bear charging you .... most bears hear you & you'll never know they were even there because they will avoid crossing paths
Most likely black bears. My dog stays right by me . He doesn't chase deer, rabbits, nothing. When I'm glassing he lays down next to me. Two years ago I had 11 does and fawns walk past me at about 75 yards. He just watched them and didn't move. Like waiting for me to shoot ducks and geese.
IMG_20220215_131535521_HDR(1).jpg

That is the experience I've seen, the hounds were a whole other situation!!

Were they bear hunting with hounds ! 😳🙄