500 S&W (bear hunting)

Treeslug

Lol....you missed the Moral of the story...I won't be ME here cause I like you too much! The moral is..... anything charging shoot first...then if you are one of those unfortunate folks that has a conscientious...you can question then if it was right thing to do! Me...I'm simple minded...I wouldn't want to deal with the "What if it was faking?" thought. IT might confuse me....I would simply say to myself...."Self... great shot...it's time for a RUM".....Shoot...shovel...and shut-up! It's nice to be alive!
Ah, now I get you. You would shoot that pretty, brown-eyed teddy bear just because you are worried that he might kill and eat you before you'd finished your last rum. I have a problem with that. I can't dig very well while I am enjoying my/your rum. A shovel in one hand and not spilling the rum with the other hand is a poor way to hide a charging bear.

lenk7mm

I’ve shot hundreds of rounds through a ported 3.5” 500s&w. I think it was the “emergency” kit or something, came with a yellow watertight case and some survival supplies.

The recoil isn’t as bad as people make it out to be. That being said I wouldn’t want to shoot it all day but I’ve went out and shot 3 cylinders worth of 500 for fun. Wouldn’t want to shoot more than that.

All that being said I don’t recommend it, but not for recoil reasons. But because I believe 460S&W is a far better firearm and cartridge. The ability to shoot smaller powered cartridges through it for practicing is a huge benefit, and anything a 500 can do a 460 does just as well. Imo.
I second the 460.Much more versatile.

Mike Matteson

Lol....you missed the Moral of the story...I won't be ME here cause I like you too much! The moral is..... anything charging shoot first...then if you are one of those unfortunate folks that has a conscientious...you can question then if it was right thing to do! Me...I'm simple minded...I wouldn't want to deal with the "What if it was faking?" thought. IT might confuse me....I would simply say to myself...."Self... great shot...it's time for a RUM".....Shoot...shovel...and shut-up! It's nice to be alive!
That a lot of shoveling. Two S in this case.

Muddyboots

LRH Team Member
Perfect timing Camofire for CROSSFIRE ALASKAN LARGE CROSS DRAW HOLSTER is 40% today for large revolvers. $41.99

Primary

LRH Assistant
Here are some related products that LRH members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to LRH’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to LRH discussions about these products.