VIDEO... Charging Bear Pistol Test

The 460 Rowland always interested me. Anybody got one and thoughts for defense?
I have a couple MB. 1911 With a Clark's customs conversion. And the glock model 41 long slide with a with a conversion from Rowland. The 1911 is much nicer to shoot. However, I find myself carrying the glock due to it costing about 1\3rd the price of the 1911. I'll leave the glock on my side when in the water and mud without thinking twice about it. Use it for a hammer if need be. As far as defense against 2 legged critters, it's overkill. If I were using them for it I'd go with the lighter faster loads for less penetration.
FYI, both of my Rowlands still function perfectly with 45acp ammo.

Last edited:
I have a couple MB. 1911 With a Clark's customs conversion. And the glock model 41 long slide with a with a conversion from Rowland. The 1911 is much nicer to shoot. However, I find myself carrying the glock due to it costing about 1\3rd the price of the 1911. I'll leave the glock on my side when in the water and mud without thinking twice about it. Use it for a hammer if need be. As far as defense against 2 legged critters, it's overkill. If I were using them for it I'd go with the lighter faster loads for less penetration.
FYI, both of my Rowlands still function perfectly with 45acp ammo.
I have simaliar photos while fishing of a griz feeding on a cow elk carcass . I wasn't even in the park. I just tried to not look it him while fishing and moving away from him down stream. I'll look for photos.

Last edited:
I was fly fishing the Madison years ago west Yellowstone and wife was at truck in lawn chair just watching and enjoying the view. I was just about to try to cross when I noticed a brown patch in tall grass that I thought was a cow elk bedded. As I was casting I turned my head to watch fly drift and when I turned back, yep it was a bear that was now standing up looking at me. Not sure if young griz or choc black bear. Either way, since only 75' of river and maybe another 50' of grass, I decided it was time to slowly back out and up to truck. The truck was maybe 150' away so it was nice easy walk back with head on swivel. He never moved just watched me leave. When I got back to truck, wife asked if all done and I said no but decided bear can have river. She laughed and thought I was kidding until I pointed it out to her. Haha - she got in truck and told me I can fold up chair!

I saw recently there was a guide killed somewhat near this spot earlier this year which made me recall this fishing incident. Kind of made me glad I took extra precaution to back out of there. You wonder if it had a kill there and if so maybe oh crap could have happened if I didn't leave. Makes you think about your own actions when you read something like this.

I was fly fishing the Madison years ago west Yellowstone and wife was at truck in lawn chair just watching and enjoying the view. I was just about to try to cross when I noticed a brown patch in tall grass that I thought was a cow elk bedded. As I was casting I turned my head to watch fly drift and when I turned back, yep it was a bear that was now standing up looking at me. Not sure if young griz or choc black bear. Either way, since only 75' of river and maybe another 50' of grass, I decided it was time to slowly back out and up to truck. The truck was maybe 150' away so it was nice easy walk back with head on swivel. He never moved just watched me leave. When I got back to truck, wife asked if all done and I said no but decided bear can have river. She laughed and thought I was kidding until I pointed it out to her. Haha - she got in truck and told me I can fold up chair!

I saw recently there was a guide killed somewhat near this spot earlier this year which made me recall this fishing incident. Kind of made me glad I took extra precaution to back out of there. You wonder if it had a kill there and if so maybe oh crap could have happened if I didn't leave. Makes you think about your own actions when you read something like this.
I bet a griz. Black bears afraid of them and seldom do black bears go after fish in rivers, streams, creeks etc.

For you Muddy 😳
46531.jpeg

I really don't know why I am drawn to bear stories other than having a deep respect for the shear power of the bear. I've spent some time hiking in and around Glacier and Yellowstone NP armed only with bear spray. I was hiking through the woods within 1000 yards of the bear pictured below earlier in day. I am thankful that I didn't walk up on this bear and elk carcass during the hike.
View attachment 375229
A taxidermist buddy has a photo of a grizzly laying across a dead bull elk that somebody shot. It wasnt gutted . Bear found it before hunter. I think the bear was sleeping. Not sure. It wasn't in Yellowstone either. I'll try to get a photo of it. I can't imagine looking for your elk and coming up on a bear laying on it... Scarey to hunt alone here. Need to start hunting grizzly again. Way too many around. Maybe after a few years they would regain a little fear of humans. It will get tied up in court for years like delisting the cuddly wolf. Last year griz was hunted here was 1970. F&G already has a griz hunt plan. Waiting on the Fed anti hunter dept. Now I hear they want to relist buffalo ? Are they serious?

Last edited:
You have 2.5 seconds! Did you prepare for this possibility? Can you draw and shoot in this time? This is reality.
View attachment 375539
1 shot if you're lucky. If with a buddy, make sure you can run faster. And in opposite direction. Looks like a coastal brown. May give you one more second... 😳😉

Last edited:
I practiced for a little while the other day drawing my big revolver and dry firing. I would be lucky to get one off and reasonably accurate with the recoil in 2.5 seconds. I have no illusions of living through a close quarters charge from a big brown. However, if I can squeeze one off, I will be the last human this bear will attack. Great pic of the bruiser btw.

I practiced for a little while the other day drawing my big revolver and dry firing. I would be lucky to get one off and reasonably accurate with the recoil in 2.5 seconds. I have no illusions of living through a close quarters charge from a big brown. However, if I can squeeze one off, I will be the last human this bear will attack. Great pic of the bruiser btw.
C2D20771-CBBE-468F-83DE-67816339AEB0.jpeg

It doesn't always go the way you think it will go. I know I wouldn't want to be down to an empty mag and thinking about reloading if the bear is still up. It's more than reasonable to believe you're getting a good way through a magazine

"C'mon Man"…..you know that with a semi-auto, you can empty a large capacity magazine and be reaching for another before the bear is upon you! 😂 memtb
😆 I should time how fast I can get 16 shots off on a target (stationary) . Be fun I guess . Long as the target didn't maul me 😳
Hope you and family have been well. No limited elk tag this year ago . I'll get a general tag. Second year in a row no buck lope tag or doe ! Drew a limited deer tag and a doe tag. I'll get a general deer also. How did you do ? I know. Should of used PM instead. 🙄