500 S&W (bear hunting)

Lol....you missed the Moral of the story...I won't be ME here cause I like you too much! The moral is..... anything charging shoot first...then if you are one of those unfortunate folks that has a conscientious...you can question then if it was right thing to do! Me...I'm simple minded...I wouldn't want to deal with the "What if it was faking?" thought. IT might confuse me....I would simply say to myself...."Self... great shot...it's time for a RUM".....Shoot...shovel...and shut-up! It's nice to be alive!
Ah, now I get you. You would shoot that pretty, brown-eyed teddy bear just because you are worried that he might kill and eat you before you'd finished your last rum. I have a problem with that. I can't dig very well while I am enjoying my/your rum. A shovel in one hand and not spilling the rum with the other hand is a poor way to hide a charging bear.

I've shot hundreds of rounds through a ported 3.5" 500s&w. I think it was the "emergency" kit or something, came with a yellow watertight case and some survival supplies.

The recoil isn't as bad as people make it out to be. That being said I wouldn't want to shoot it all day but I've went out and shot 3 cylinders worth of 500 for fun. Wouldn't want to shoot more than that.

All that being said I don't recommend it, but not for recoil reasons. But because I believe 460S&W is a far better firearm and cartridge. The ability to shoot smaller powered cartridges through it for practicing is a huge benefit, and anything a 500 can do a 460 does just as well. Imo.
I second the 460.Much more versatile.

Lol....you missed the Moral of the story...I won't be ME here cause I like you too much! The moral is..... anything charging shoot first...then if you are one of those unfortunate folks that has a conscientious...you can question then if it was right thing to do! Me...I'm simple minded...I wouldn't want to deal with the "What if it was faking?" thought. IT might confuse me....I would simply say to myself...."Self... great shot...it's time for a RUM".....Shoot...shovel...and shut-up! It's nice to be alive!
That a lot of shoveling. Two S in this case.

I have always been intrigued why people always debate on the best pistol as a backup to hunt bears? So, you would throw down your hunting rifle, attempt to draw a pistol to shoot a charging bear?
I think I would rather shoot a charging Lion, Elephant, Rhino, Water Buffalo with my rifle? Let alone a bear! What am I missing? If I were a bear close enough that you could not use your hunting rifle, I would take your pistol while you were trying to figure out how to draw it, and (insert your story here).
What an I missing? Do the PHs in Africa carry a pistol for back up? Do some folks go bear hunting alone? I must be missing sumptin?
yes, your missing some scenerios. if your in bear - GRIZZLY bear country, a rifle 2 steps away is too far, as in camp, cleaning/ skinning game, and many other scenerios. a cannon, always inches from your hand can be a lifesaver- maybe not even yours but your buddy, son, spouse etc. and yes, 3100 ftlbs of energy at short range - IS GONNA hurt! we're Not talking killing, we are referring to "Stopping." Id prefer a shotgun, but THAT isn't always practicle. By the way!,,, they make a 700GR slug for the 500 too! like HOLLLY XXXX! yeah, im 155 lbs, LOVE my vehicle intradiction 500 S$W, be it 4 wheels or 4 feet! lol jmho )))

A "resurrected" thread …..but still enjoyable!

There is a vast difference between "hunting" a large bear and defending yourself when under attack!!!

When hunting, you can "almost always" carefully place your shot ….meaning you could use a handgun with less power, bullet diameter, and weight!

In a "self preservation" situation…you need all of the power and size that you can comfortably carry/use proficiently for the "one" shot that you "MAY" get off!

That said…..I still prefer to "hunt" with a fairly large bore, heavy, solid bullet and pretty good muzzle velocity! memtb

I have a 500 in 4" and it's a cannon. I carried it when I hunted with my bow. It's one more item to carry. The 500 has a lot of recoil too even with the muzzle brake. I am not so sure that a 44mag in a light frame and 4" barrel wouldn't be better. I realizes it doesn't have fpe. I that revolver type, I believe is made by S&W wouldn't be better. I have fired both of the them and I could control the 44 better than the 500 S&W. I want the bigger one, but thinking about over the years. I kind of think the 44 would have been better choice.

I've fired my 5" 500 as fast as I could pull the trigger for all five rounds and was able to control it. But, I shoot large calibers with no issues (at least not yet). Corbin used to make 500 S&W Special which would be better for most people. I don't think they make that anymore. If you are recoil sensitive carry the Springfield XDM in 10mm with hard cast loads. 17 rounds on tap. S&W makes a 10mm revolver too but it's hard to find at reasonable prices.

Go on U Tube and see all the heroes trying to shoot the 500. Some have no idea how to hold or shoot and should not fire it. Getting hit in the face, pistol flying out of their hands. That was the idea behind Duct Tape.
We have several 38s, 357s, 45acp, and 44 mag. I don't want anything larger that a 44 with at least a 6" barrel Ported. I am accurate out to 50 yds and hunter deer with it.

I shoot and own a lot of big guns for a guy who is "not big". LOL I shot a 460Wby just for laughs. The only thing I killed with it was PA groundhogs who got hit by the 500gr of lead.

That being said, my 500 S&W Encore rifle (20"bbl) was brutal. I often wondered if the Encore receiver was up to the task with such a potent cartridge. Loaded down the cartridge was fine but who buys a 500 S&W to load down?

I sold the whole set-up at a loss and was as happy as can be. LMAO

Last edited:
I often, OK every time state that, "if you can use 10 plus, somewhat aimed rounds from a 10 mm…..you were not under attack"!

If you start firing at a distance where, even a fairly competent shooter can semi-accurately empty a magazine….it's very likely tat you will be losing your hunting privilege, pay a large fine and possI ly spend some time in jail!

Thanks, but I'd prefer one or 2 rounds from a powerful, large bore revolver at close range to the "spray and pray" concept! memtb