VIDEO... Charging Bear Pistol Test

It just reinforces how difficult it would be even if you were ready for a charging bear. In some bear charges you may not even have time to put your hand on your gun or bear spray before the bear has already made physical contact with you.

I liked how he said it is best to be aware of your surroundings at all times. Very important if you are in bear country or dealing with urban predators. The second most important thing is to practice and create "muscle memory". A guy that is proficient with a 22 LR is better off than the guy with a 44 mag or 10mm that doesn't know how to use it.

While it may not hurt, the number of shots placed on target can be misleading. Anyone who has ever hunted Africa and faced any of a number of charging dangerous game are not concerned about emptying a mag or making several rapid fire shots. Often, it is the single well placed shot by a calm, accurate hunter and from a double or bolt action rifle or even handgun.

Personally, I've thought about this a lot. I have a 329PD that I bought as a bear protection gun, but there's no way I'm carrying that during archery season. It's light and handy but shooting it accurately is difficult, especially with heavy loads. A year before buying that 44 Mag I bought an XDm OSP in 10mm and put a Leupold DPP on it. Shooting heavy, fast loads from the 10mm quickly and accurately is much easier and I feel far more effective. I feel as though even with the 44 unholstered and cocked I'd be lucky to get a second shot off, but with the 10mm I'd be able to get 3-5 off in the same scenario. I think for the most part if you're paying attention you can usually at least hear that a bear is close and get close to ready. It's still scary stuff knowing you're hunting big bear country, being prepared and aware is the only defense, even still coming to terms with the fact that you could get mauled is the only way you can go out there and hunt.

Last edited:

It doesn't get much closer than this!

That, in response to your first comment here. They had to get 3 shots off before getting that lion down. While yes, one shot did the job, they still needed 3. Getting 3 shots off is far better than getting 1 off. I feel a lot safer knowing I can get a second, third, and maybe even a fourth or fifth shot off while staying on target compared to one and then maybe a second. If the first shot misses from a heavy recoiling hard to handle gun you could have a hard time staying on your feet. I'd rather stay on target and keep shooting as many rounds as possible as opposed to having to recover from every shot. I haven't been charged by a bear but I do hunt in grizzly country and I try to stay prepared, this is the solution I've come up with.

Last edited:
I wonder how it would've ended with a smaller caliber handgun? Stopping power is a real thing. When a creature is h*** bent on doing you harm, I would rather hit the one time with a 350+ gr. bullet traveling over 1800 fps than 3 times with a 150 gr. at 1000 fps.

I wonder how it would've ended with a smaller caliber handgun? Stopping power is a real thing. When a creature is h*** bent on doing you harm, I would rather hit the one time with a 350+ gr. bullet traveling over 1800 fps than 3 times with a 150 gr. at 1000 fps.
Agreed. I'm curious though. I shoot 200gr HC out of my 10mm at 1150 to 1200 fps. I shoot 255gr HC out of my 44 Mag, at around 1700 fps. Which would you take? Personally I have way more confidence in getting accurate shots off from my tamer 10mm and getting 400-600gr of lead in something then I do getting 255-510gr of lead into something.

Did the shooter state what distance his cardboard "BEAR" charged from ?
It appears that the "BEAR" passed by at 30+MPH = 44 FPS or more .
Real world Bear speed !!!

This is the most realistic "Charging animal" target shooting video that I have seen .
Daily practice with this setup would definitely make you a better shooter , or tell you that you should bring a friend with you that is capable and "Cool-Headed" .
Great Video !!!!