Velocity for a 300 RUM factory cartridge with 180 gr cor-lokt??

260shooter

Any know a general velocity for the Rem (factory load) 300 RUM with a 180 gr cor-lokt bullet. I'm shooting from a factory 700 VL with a 26" barrel.

Don't have a scope on it yet, but had it braked, bedded, and a limbsaver pad installed, couldn't resist not knowing about the recoil. With gun alone it felt like my 13 lb 308 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, very mild. Didn't have the guts to shootit over the chrony.

I let a guy at the range shoot his 300 ultra through my chrono last fall with the core-lokt ultras in the 180 grain and I believe they were going about 3250 if I remember correctly but they had a terrible standard deviation-something like 30!

I shot 20 rounds of Remmington premium 180 grain swift scirrocco through my sendero, using an oehler chrony, they averaged right at 3350 with a low of 3335 and a high of 3376.

I assume the 180 cor-lokt would have a similar velocity, but I have not shot any of them.

Boy I hope those velocities are close. If they are the brake works like a dream /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I don't care about the remington fodder, it came with the rifle. I intend to shoot 190's and 200 Accubonds

Thanks

260Shooter,
I know that everyone has a different tolerance for recoil, and I'm used to shooting big bore rifles. But, I would agree with your findings about the recoil from a 300 ultra that has had a brake installed. Not bad at all, don't be reluctant to shoot it. The velocity of the 180 core-lockt is roughly around 3250 fps at the muzzle. You've got yourself a great shooting rifle.
Shoot that fine firearm with confidence,
Brandon

I have got on paper with those bullets and they averaged around 3150 -3230 fps out of my 27 inch lilja. But as mentioned before the sd is alot!

GG, what vel are you getting with your 300 win. ? is the difference in recoil with a 300 rum or a 300 weath. worth the extra fps ?

i´m thinking of a 30 cal for lrh.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.