Varying POI- Posture Question

A couple tricks I have used over the years to square up a scope is to drop a Plumb bob from a tree and then square the scope reticule rotation to that line. Another is to use a window from a building or corner of a structure aways out and square the reticule to that. Both methods will get you in the neighborhood then at the range do what Hatrick mentioned.

Is low and right correct values for the bc of the bullet, velocity and wind? Same poi for both guns? That would be very weird at 200 unless ballistic values are the same for both guns. Where is the poi supposed to be from the ballistic calculator?

As far as I can tell the parallax is adjusted out using the parallax knob. The crosshairs stay on the same part of the target regardless of where I have my eye positioned behind the scope, and the image is very clear.

I do tend to shoulder the rifles firmly. I use my trigger hand to hold the rifle tight in the pocket of the shoulder, and the off hand rests under the butt of the stock in a fist to adjust aim.
Are you loading the bipod so you dont have to muscle it? It sounds by your description that it's shooter error. Read up on loading the bipod.

Your trigger hand and finger should be light like it is just slightly pressing the trigger. I bet one quick session with you and we will tighten up those groups real quick.

Load the bipod, cement shooting rest can work if your rubber feet have enough grip to get you to load the bipod properly and you need a rear bag... your heart pumps, thus pulsates through your hand and any muscle restricting blood flow... shooting form needs some fine tuning

I was at the range today with the 270w and the 300wm. At 100 yards both rifles were shooting 1moa, 2" high and dead center.
The trouble I ran in to with both rifles is that I began shooting low (6") and right (3") at only 200 yards.
Just to check myself I brought them both back in to 100 yards, and they were the same as before; dead center, 2" high.

I know it must be something in my posture, but do not know where to begin looking. I haven't had this issue before.
Any helpful thoughts?

Sometimes something like this happens to me. One mistake I find myself making is not properly lining my eyeball up with the scope, introducing parallax error. Very easy to do with a change in posture. One of my scopes seems particularly susceptible to my imperfect technique.

Are you loading the bipod so you dont have to muscle it? It sounds by your description that it's shooter error. Read up on loading the bipod.

Your trigger hand and finger should be light like it is just slightly pressing the trigger. I bet one quick session with you and we will tighten up those groups real quick.

Load the bipod, cement shooting rest can work if your rubber feet have enough grip to get you to load the bipod properly and you need a rear bag... your heart pumps, thus pulsates through your hand and any muscle restricting blood flow... shooting form needs some fine tuning

I will read up on this for sure. I am pretty confident that it is something I am doing incorrectly as the shooter, especially since both rifles are behaving the same.

Sometimes something like this happens to me. One mistake I find myself making is not properly lining my eyeball up with the scope, introducing parallax error. Very easy to do with a change in posture. One of my scopes seems particularly susceptible to my imperfect technique.
Out of curiosity, what is your method to making sure you are lined correctly behind the scope?

Out of curiosity, what is your method to making sure you are lined correctly behind the scope?
Move my eye closer to the scope so the image begins to go black. Pull back slowly until there is just a thin dark ring. Make sure the ring is even on all sides. Pay close attention and be mindful and aware of eye position.

I was at the range today with the 270w and the 300wm. At 100 yards both rifles were shooting 1moa, 2" high and dead center.
The trouble I ran in to with both rifles is that I began shooting low (6") and right (3") at only 200 yards.
Just to check myself I brought them both back in to 100 yards, and they were the same as before; dead center, 2" high.

I know it must be something in my posture, but do not know where to begin looking. I haven't had this issue before.
Any helpful thoughts?
are your crosshairs level? Sounds like your might be rolling the rifle a bit.

are your crosshairs level? Sounds like your might be rolling the rifle a bit.
Rolling the rifle at 200 won't cause what he is dealing with. He should buy a level for sure.

By his description it is his shooting form, naturally pulling the rifle into his shoulder from his firing side will cause low hits, he needs to load the bipod and improve his base, ie rear bag etc...

Rolling the rifle at 200 won't cause what he is dealing with. He should buy a level for sure.

By his description it is his shooting form, naturally pulling the rifle into his shoulder from his firing side will cause low hits, he needs to load the bipod and improve his base, ie rear bag etc...

Agreed, it must be my form. When one loads the bipod, is there any reason to go beyond enough pressure to keep the stock against the shoulder without any other additional support?

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.