POI Drift 300grain Matchkings 338LM?

Finally talked to the rifle service guy at Sako,Marko Nikko. Well, this kind of problem has not been reported to them. But they let a rifle go from a factory if it shoots 40mm or less at 100 meters so this is within the specs...
mad.gif

He also said that my barrel may not like 300s because of the twist and I told him the twist is 10". Took him a while to believe that the newer barrels actually ARE 10", he didn´t know that until he checked it somewhere. Man,this rifle has left the factory one year ago! Something else that was prone to breaking in the early models has been fixed though( I don´t know what it was but it had something to do with the mounting ).

He also suggested the "get rid of the moly" and start again -idea, that makes sense now. Dang, difficult to talk with production rifle makers who don´t really care about 1/2 " grouping, next I´ll take this thing apart and see what I can do to make things tight,the recoil lug MAY show signs. If so,it´s warranty. Can´t do any bedding yet,it will ruin the warranty.

He was quite friendly but when I mentioned discussing this in the Internet his tone changed. Seems that he is "only working" there, if you know what I mean.

Manufacturers should not underestimate the power of quality forums like this one. Say, Hogue sent me a new hardwood grip for my SBH 44 Mag in no time when I reported what had happened and why. It broke in pieces with very hot loads- but there was a crack right from the start in that grip. Out of warranty time, they were really nice. That´s how a good rep spreads around in the net, I posted pics in several forums.

Well, deer hunting first, no time to work on the rifle now. At least I know where the first bullet goes but after paying $1200 for this I expected a bit more interest about the accuracy from the makers,to be honest.

Well,what the hell. I´ll fix it one way or another. How about a new stock like this? It´s a custom 6mm PPC thing made by a Finnish company called BR-Tuote. Suppressors are legal here.

t8varmin.jpg

Petander

You get those other 300 Matchkings yet??? I'm hearing of backups in mailing packages and I wonder if it is all packages.

[ 11-17-2003: Message edited by: Dave King ]

Dave,not yet. I´m afraid Christmas is starting to affect mail too. But no panic,they will be here and if I´m lucky I can report some interesting hunting results soon - still got some left.
smile.gif

Chris,I finally believe this recoil lug thing now. Sako says it has been fixed... man,they underestimate the power of the Net. A service guy really told me that when a rifle shoots 40mm groups at 100 meters they ship it!

Yep,I will.

But not in a rush, no panic. A slight disappointment here though... otherwise very good stuff, just because the stock comes from Italy (Beretta) the factory simply throws the rest in there and tighten the screws. No bedding.
confused.gif

Well,luckily I have done successful bedding / floating jobs so I know what I need to do. Only the material is new. Thanks,everyone!

Petander

Package arrived, thanks for the card and gift.... I read the card and will try the other tonight deer willing. It's our opening day for deer gun season.

Thanks

I missed this thread, happy hunting!
grin.gif

I´ve had no luck with deer here,they are scarce. I keep trying though.

Perkules,

I own one of the ones Chris Matthews (Longshot Rifles, LLC) reworked. He installed a decent (Badger, I think) recoil lug, reset the headspace and bedded the receiver. He done good. I worry no more about the miniature recoil lug that it came with.

Festus

Lynn and Darryl are both right, also the twist on those is 1-12 and neither one of mine would shoot heavy bullets with consistent accuracy. I have worked with two of those since they first came out with them. The 200 grain ballistic tips shot best in both at 3400 fps with winchester WMR powder.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts