Vanguard 2 .300 win mag load development

Ben Bulkley

I'm trying to develop a load and am having some trouble with the 178g hornady eld-x grouping. I've shot the whole powder range (77-81 grains) with H-1000 and can't get better than an 1 1/4" group at 100 yards. I was hoping that someone on here had an idea of what the problem could be or has had luck with a different recipe.

BB, perhaps a bit heavier bullet with the H1000 or faster powder if you're dead set on the 178 ELDX. The 24" barrel will only lose a little fps. I'm shooting the 215 Berger with H1000 in a 24" Rem 700 with great accuracy at mag length. Good luck

Last edited:
BB, perhaps a bit heavier bullet with the H1000 or faster powder if you're dead set on the 178 ELDX. The 24" barrel will only lose a a little fps. I'm shooting the 215 Berger with H1000 in a 24" Rem 700 with great accuracy at mag length. Good luck

I'm not dead set on anything at this point, the only reason I started with that bullet was I had been shooting a 180 core-lokt factory bullet with great accuracy. Thanks for your help, I appreciate it.

Sometimes of different powder helps sometimes you need to switch bullets.
In my 257 I shot a 100 rounds of 90 gr blitz kings with my tightest group barely reaching 1", tried everything and gave up, but that gun will sling 115 gr vlds and ballistic tips at .45 Moa.
Seating depth makes quite a difference, pick your best group and try seating your bullet deeper by 1/4 turns on seating die. Might find something that works better

For starters try around 75 gr or RL22 and 180 gr Accubonds. I've yet to see a 300 Win Mag that does not like this combo.
RL22 worked great in my 300 with 180 gr bullets and with the 200 gr ELD-x's. The H1000 and RL26 just worked allot better for the 200 gr bullets. How far do you plan on shooting and what will the bullet be used for? If under 600 yards and you are wanting a 180 gr bullet I'd stick with the Accubond.

For starters try around 75 gr or RL22 and 180 gr Accubonds. I've yet to see a 300 Win Mag that does not like this combo.
RL22 worked great in my 300 with 180 gr bullets and with the 200 gr ELD-x's. The H1000 and RL26 just worked allot better for the 200 gr bullets. How far do you plan on shooting and what will the bullet be used for? If under 600 yards and you are wanting a 180 gr bullet I'd stick with the Accubond.

600-700 would probably be as far as I'd stretch it for an animal, obviously once I was confident in the load. I have thought about going with a heavier bullet too, I'm going to try and get some loaded up today so we'll see what happens. Thanks for your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.