V max not expanding

ven

Was wondering if any of you guys have seen varmint bullets not expanding at lower velocitys.

I ask because yesterday we had a lovely frost and no wind .
So i grab my 6mmppc loaded with 65 grain v max and head out.I see a large doe along a foresrty edge .The frost is really load to walk on i stalk to a shooting position and get set up .
The doe is 402 yards away according to the leica 1200 i put in 6.1 minutes into the nightforce and wait for her to turn broardside there is not a breath of wind.

When she presents a broardside shot i hold just above the heart and sqeeze off the round.I see a perfect impact through the scope so does my mate .She runs 15 yards and stumbles over dead.

On inspection the v max went throgh the top of her heart but the exit was the same size as the entrance.There was little enternal damage also.

Could this be due to the lack of velocity at 400 yards with a 6mmppc or just a one off.

On the way home i spotted 3 more deer and shot one the distance was 335 yards and the round hit exactly the same place as the last one.THis time i got a good exit wound that left a good blood trail even though only 15 yards long and massive internal damge.

Happy new year

just curious are you using varmint bullets to hunt deer because the 6mmppc is a low velocity
rund?

Sounds like you just got a bad bullet , I've seen the V-maxs expand down to the 1000fps range ,not explode but certainly expand.

IMO I think that the 67 g. bullet, and a varmint bullet at that, out of a PPC is not a big game bullet. The sectional density is low on that small of a weight, and PPCs were designed up to 300 meters where they mostly dominate matches and the powder capacity in the PPC is not as great for it either. I'm not saying you shouldn't (it has worked for you) but I wouldn't. I have a 6BR and with a 105 bullet, that is more suited to deer out to 300-400 yards.

You are right that is not a big game bullet but i have had huge success with it with carefull shot placement.
I also forgot to mention these are roe deer with the largest of them weighing only 50 pounds.

Never seen it. First I've heard of it. I'm surprised, and inclined to think there's another explanation. ie bullet expanded but didn't frag and do a lot of damage? Or core jacket separation, and only the core exited.

My Father n law just skinned out a coyote I had shot behind the shoulder with a 65' v-max. He found the bullet inside the skin on the far side. It was mushroomed but not fragmented. The coyote was shot at 110 steps with a 6mm WOA. Probably running quite a bit faster than that 6ppc.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.