60gr V-Max WOW !!!!!

uncleB

I recently picked up an AR-15, I figured that I needed one rifle that was not a single shot bolt action. this rifle has a 1-8" twist barrel that refuses to shoot 55gr ammo. so I have been doing some tinkering to see what bullets it likes 69gr SMK's shoot well but not really a good coyote bullet so I tried some 60gr V-Max's and they shot really well on paper so I thought this weekend would be a good test to see how they work on rockchuck's WOW these bullet's come un-done like no other bullet I have ever seen (incredible air time)
Are they that much more fragile than the 40-50 and 55gr V-Max's or does the extra rpm of the 1-8" even at a lower velocity make that much difference ??????
I thought about posting pic's but figured it would be too much.
UB

Last weekend I shot my first ladder test with guess what:
An AR-15 24" bbl. and 60 gr v max's.
I will post some pics later, but it seemed to like about 3150 fps with Varget.
Five or so shots made a ragged hole at 300.
I think I will try to develop that load a little more for PD shooting.
From what you stated above, it seems some aerial displays may be seen!
Will find out.

The twist may have something to do with it. I have shoot them in a 8 twist 22-250 at full throttle and the groundhogs come unglued /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif. I also tried the 60 grain spires and half would not make it to the target. I think the RPM's is helping the bullet fail... I'm currently shooting a 75 V-max in my 243AI 10 twist and it is staying in the critters at 480 yards. I missed one at 350 and found fragments of the bullets in a 2" hole in the ground.... they really come unglued! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Sam in Va.

I have a 24" Varmiter RRA 1-8 that loves the 60 V-Max & the 77SMK even more. I am afraid the 77 will not give the terminal performance I desire but everyone that tries the 60V-Max claim great results & I know a Coyote caller that shoots many Coyotes up close & they work for that too even though explosive. Hope to pop a few Varmits in August.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.