Using QuickLOAD Updates

ELR Researcher

Using QuickLOAD Updates

I recently acquired the latest update to QuickLOAD (QL). I purchased it specifically because it includes the new Hornady ELD projectiles. Well (with QL closed), I ran the install file i.e., I put the CD in the CD-readable drive in my PC and accepted the autoplay "run qupdate.exe" option. After the install I launched QL and went to the bullet selection window…where I did not find the desired ELD projectiles. Having been a PC component supplier, with responsibility for Tech Support, in a prior life, I simply called the provided 800# and asked, "What's up". [Frankly, using the provided User's Manual – on the original program CD - would have also led me to make the call. It does not address updates at all.]

So…here's what I found I needed to do under a couple of what, I suspect, are fairly typical scenarios. Both scenarios assume that you have already run the update and have started QL.

Scenario 1, you want to select projectiles from only your preferred supplier (e.g., BulletCo or BulC).
  1. From the main program window (the way the program launches), Cartridge Dimensions window (middle/left side), double click on the text, "File:" to the right of "Selected Bullet". That will open the "Load Bullet File" dialog box.
  2. Scroll down the file name list (left side) until you find BulC (your preferred supplier).
  3. Click that file name (highlights) and then click OK (upper/right).
  4. The dialog will close and the "file:" field will show file:\BulC
At this point the last-selected bullet will still show in the Selected Bullet window, but, when you hit the dropdown arrow on the right, you will not see it listed, only all the BulC projectiles.

To go back to the as-shipped (original) list of projectiles, go thru steps 1-3 (above) and select the "qloadfw.bul" file in the list at step 3. The "file:" text will now show file:\qloadfw

Scenario 2, you want to select projectiles in only one caliber (e.g. .338).
  1. From the main program window (the way the program launches), list of icons across the top/left, click the seventh (7th) icon from the left (suppose to look like a pair of binoculars over a bullet image).
  2. In the just-popped-up "Searching in all *.bul files" dialog box, enter the desired caliber (e.g., .338) and click OK (upper/right).
  3. Accept (click) OK in the "Browse for Folder" dialog box.
  4. Accept (click) Yes in the new, unnamed dialog box – to respond to the question "Do you want to save the bullet collection into a new bullet file?"
  5. Accept (click) OK in the "Save as" dialog box (upper/right).
  6. If the "Overwrite this file?" question comes up in a "File/read-write" dialog box, click Yes.
At this point the last-selected bullet will still show in the Selected Bullet window, but, when you hit the dropdown arrow on the right, you will not see it listed, only all the .338 projectiles.

To go back to the as-shipped (original) list of projectiles, go thru steps 1-3 (Scenario 1, above) and select the "qloadfw.bul" file in the list at step 3. The "file:" text will now show file:\qloadfw.

IMPORTANT: Note that a "338.bul" file now exists in the "Load Bullet File" dialog (Scenario 1, step 1). You can have multiple "xxx.bul (caliber)" files and swap back and forth by:
  1. Follow Scenario 1/step 1
  2. Select the desired (pre-set-up) caliber file
  3. Hit OK (upper right).
Three mouse clicks to change caliber. Slick!

I much appreciated Ed Dillon's time on the phone…and the 800#. His company, NECO, is the exclusive seller of QL in the US. Find QL info and purchasing opportunity at www.neconos.com.

The new IMR powders are NOT included in the update. It does include RL-26/23/16 however and the aforementioned ELD-X bullets.

Keep in mind that you can still do most anything you like to customize QL since QL data is based on a bunch of text files. Just today I edited the cartridge text file (added 1 line) to add a wildcat (6.5WSM). You can add bullets just as easily. However, unlike measuring a bullet and adding the info into the appropriate QL text file adding a new powder is not feasible unless you have a way of measuring the various attributes of a powder as it burns. So on new powders you are kind of stuck until the update comes out if it comes out at all. The IMR powder folks are not cooperative with the creator of QL so those powders may not show up until he can test a sample of the powder which takes a bit of doing on his part.

I agree adding new bullets isn't too bad, I added the .277 cal 165 Matrix last week ...

So do neither of the two 6.5WSM that are already in QuickLOAD match your wildcat?

6.5 Leopard (6.5WSM) 75.00 grains H20, or

6.5 Rock (6.5WSM) 79.50 grains H20

I use the 6.5 Rock because my 6.5 WSM is based on the 270/300WSM case.

270 WSM 79.50 grains H20 ...

Good to know the new Hornady ELD-X are in QL, I have some 6.5 ELD-X but have been working on the .277 cal 165 Matrix VLDs lately.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts