QuickLoad....anyone using this program?

ScottB

Been on the fence about purchasing a program, especially at the bargain price of $150.00......

So I'd like to hear(read) some opinions from anyone using this 'tool' at the reloading bench!??!??!

Sometimes load data just isn't available. Take the 24" .300/.221 Fireball load data....just not out there.

Does anyone know if the price of $150.00 includes the 'patch'/'update' to use this in Vista?

Scott

I've used this program for about a year now, and I've probably saved enough on components to pay for the program. If you use it correctly, it'll save you both range time and money.
David H.

I've been using Quickload for a looong time now. I have a ton of stuff around here for shooting and reloading but Quickload is one of the things that I wouldn't give up.

It takes some time to figure it all out and then it's a super tool. Learn how to input the correct data and it is very close to real world results. It's just like anything with reloading though and even if you think it's spot on, you should still start low and work up.

It's a great "what if" tool to use your computer to see what might be possible with your gun and a ton of different combinations.

I've also kicked the idea around of buying this program.

ss7mm, you say it takes some time to figure it out. Is there any chance you could expound upon that please????

Put me in as another "liker" of the program. The way the reloading manuals are being wimped down it's good to have another more realistic reference. Plus you can go to the range with your chrono....even if results don't perfectly match QL you can quickly assess the difference and let the program tell you how much to add to your loads to get where you want to be. I like it....I could load without it....but it was well worth the $$$$$.

My only real concern at this point is the updates....

#1: Everytime a company decides to introduce a new powder, or worse a new projectile....I need to pay another $14.95! Ouch, crap and ouch!! Seems $150 for a program should include the updates.....

#2: When your on the quickload quicktarget software page and click on the "QuickLOAD Version 3.6", it comes up with data from July 2008. If this is version 3.6(the latest version) it's already outdated by 2, almost 3 years!! Or is the webpage just outdated?(which could also indicate some programming problems....a software company that doesn't update their webpage is like a TV repairman that only works on black/white TV sets!!)

ss7mm,
I'd already found that link, but I appreciate your advise. The article was/is very informative.
Since you say you've used the program for quite sometime.... How many updates have you had to purchase to keep current?

Scott

My only real concern at this point is the updates....

#1: Everytime a company decides to introduce a new powder, or worse a new projectile....I need to pay another $14.95! Ouch, crap and ouch!! Seems $150 for a program should include the updates.....

#2: When your on the quickload quicktarget software page and click on the "QuickLOAD Version 3.6", it comes up with data from July 2008. If this is version 3.6(the latest version) it's already outdated by 2, almost 3 years!! Or is the webpage just outdated?(which could also indicate some programming problems....a software company that doesn't update their webpage is like a TV repairman that only works on black/white TV sets!!)

ss7mm,
I'd already found that link, but I appreciate your advise. The article was/is very informative.
Since you say you've used the program for quite sometime.... How many updates have you had to purchase to keep current?

Scott

I'm in somewhat of the same thought. I don't like how the updates don't list exactly what's being updated. Although I do see there is an August 2010 update. I wonder if this includes newer powders like RL17, or newer bullet designs like the Hornady 285 Match bullet? Also, I wonder what types of wildcat rounds it has? Does it have the 338-375 Ruger?

I'm in somewhat of the same thought. I don't like how the updates don't list exactly what's being updated. Although I do see there is an August 2010 update. I wonder if this includes newer powders like RL17, or newer bullet designs like the Hornady 285 Match bullet? Also, I wonder what types of wildcat rounds it has? Does it have the 338-375 Ruger?
I have version 3.4 and it has RE17 and the 338-375 Ruger.
I don't think that the RE17 data is quite right though. The 338-375 Ruger is a wildcat so it isn't necessarily spot on.

James

ss7mm,

Scott
I don't buy every update and haven't updated mine in a while as there has been no need for me as I don't need any of the new info. I haven't checked it in a while so I'll probably update mine this winter just out of habit.

Folks you need to understand that QL is NOT a reloading 'manual'..
If you don't get this, and don't really understand reloading, then you can't benefit from QL.
You're are just not ready for it yet.

QL is a reloading TOOL that you chrono calibrate to your barrels, powders, various capacities, etc, with each adjustment leaving manuals further behind(diminshed).
I'm amazed that it's available to us at all, and priced within our range. That there are ANY updates, is way beyond my expectations.

Personally, I'd like to see it removed from the market, before Hornady reverse engineers it to steal another market from those who've earned it. This, because so many here would reward this action, if it saved them 5 bucks! And then what happens with those considering bringing a new QL type advancement to market? Well, they see what happened to ChargeMaster, and Harris bipods, and calculate that it isn't worth the cause...
We don't deserve it anyway

Mike,

Got to ask....who said anything about this being a reloading 'manual'?

I've got 35 manuals on a shelf. Never going to leave those on a shelf, but those tools don't answer all the questions. This program might prove itself to be useful, and I was asking questions that anyone throwing $150 on a new(to me) 'tool' should ask.

As far as reloading experience....I've created four wildcats, 'handloaded' in excess of 95 different cartridges, and had zero mishaps(knock on wood). As far as a 'reloader', I've done that too....ISPSA/IPSC pistols competitions for more years then I'd like to remember.
Reloading is easy, probably loaded more rounds of ammunition in my 3 years at Remington Arms in Lonoke, then just about everyone here on this forum has fired in their lifetime, combined..... Did see a few primer hopper denotations there though...bad stuff! Thankfully, not my presses....

Didn't see anyone asking how to reverse engineer the program? Maybe I missed that.... But that is a chance that is taken with everything on the open market. Is it right, I don't think so...but it happens. Guess Henry Ford shouldn't have released that silly truck, that way no one could copy it?

Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.