US869 in 300 RUM

tobehunted

I was wondering has anybody used any of US869 in thier 300 RUMs ? I was looking for a load in any of the 3 bullets 190 or 210 berger vlds or 200 accubond. I have a load with retumbo for the 190 vlds that shoot excellent .261 and a load with 180 ballistic silvertips and imr7828 that is pretty good to .298 ,both are 4 shot 100 yard center to center. But i havent been able to group the 210vlds or 200 accubonds. I do have to reshoot a group with the 210s and retumbo to make sure it was me ( bad day ) but other than that ive tried several powders with not much luck. Could be my gun just likes the 180s and 190s . Maybe the slower powder would help but i cant find the load data for it. Any info or sugestions you guys have would be appreciated. krieger barrel 1-10 twist

I like both 869 and the old H870 in the RUM and the improved versions I have. The H870 I have bought or rather still have 31lbs if that tells you something. Those 2 powders work very well in my over bore rifles with the heavier bullets.

Funny but the H870 usually give me the best combo of accuracy, velocity and shot to shot deviation in everything from the 30-378 to the big RUM. Worked very well in my 338 Lapua Improved as well but RL 25 worked just a little bit and I mean a little bit better in hot to cold conditions meaning it was a little less sensitive in the velocity variations.

I just checked my stuff , i have some 200 accubonds ready to shoot for a load with magnum powder and 2 groups with retumbo that are on the high end for my rifle to shoot. 1 load with H1000 and 210vlds and 1 load with 210s and retumbo to try. I have for powder Rel 22 and 25 ,Magnum ,Retumbo , IMR7828 ,H1000 and the US869 that i have yet to try because i cant find load data for it with those bullets...unless im just looking in the wrong places. Hopefully tomorrow i can go out and shoot. The 190 vlds and retumbo seem to be the perfect match in this gun but i do like to mess around and see how different things shoot.

I have always had good luck with H-1000 and 210 bergers in my 300 ultra. I dont know if i can speak for everyone but ive had alot of loads shoot bugged holes at 100 then at 200 or 250 that same load couldnt be covered by a pie plate. Ive also had it be the other way around, at 100 it would be a bad group then at 250 it would be about the same size it was at 100. That is the reason why i dont shoot at 100 yds any more, i will usually shoot at 25 yds and if it is dead on i will go straight to 250 usually it will be right on or allittle high depending on what velocity your shooting.

Nathan

tobehunted, what type of rifle are you shooting? In my Sendero SFII .300RUM, I had great luck with RL25 and 200 accubonds. Seated to magazine length, Federal 215 primers. 89-91 grains. Haven't tried US869 yet. My gun did not like Retumbo or h1000 with the accubonds.​

I was gonna go out shooting today but the wind is blowing to much for me to even try. I have a rem700 with a 1.220 straight all the way 26 inch fluted krieger barrel with a muzzle brake. HS precision adjustable stock so me and the wife can both shoot it. And the boys. Both the loads i have are pretty mild but i was looking at accuracy more than velocity . The 190 vlds with 94.5 retumbo are coming out at 3094 fps COAL is 3.868 setting just off the lands so i use them in single shot mode. The 180 ballistic silvertips are im guessing coming out around a little less than 3200 ,looking at the nosler book ,with IMR7828 (never chronographed them ) but they are COAL 3.680 which just fits in the magazine. If i can get a 200 accubond to group i will set them to fit in the magazine and if i can get a 210 VLD i set them just off the lands also. At least with the wind blowing i can do some more loading today. Thanks for the info and the posts , guys ,that gives me something else to try .

Your problem with the 210 VLD's might be seating depth, I have always found Berger's VLD bullets including the 210 needed to be seated about .004 to .010 into the lands.
BUT berger has just some info on their website that suggests otherwise.
Read the last paragraph of:
Berger Bullets - Tech Info

Dave

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.