300 RUM - Hodgdon US869

Be cautious. You may be getting to the point where velocity isn't increasing proportionately with the powder increase. Just more muzzle blast..... and possibly excessive pressure......

What your achieving is looking good.!

102.5 was nice... real nice. Muzzle velocity was in the 3160's. the delta's on that load was 22 fps. the load at 104.0 was 18 fps.

"FWIW, One LRH member regularly feeds his 300 RUM 104.0 grs of US 869 driving a 240gr SMK."

This may be me you were referring to, Chopaka81. Just to clarify, that was an 8 lb. jug of US869 that, from what I've seen otherwise, seemed to be very slow powder. A new jug I just opened is much faster and if I loaded my old load of 104.5 or 104.2, I'd be in trouble territory real fast. I'm down to 103.2 with the new powder and still don't like what I see in terms of pressure and velocity is nearly 80fps slower at about 2920fps (with pressure signs) with the 240.

Thinking of switching to 210 Bergers...

Point is, don't try the 104 grain loads...

FWIW----in my testing for the 300 RUM and later the 300 Slowpoke which is an improved RUM the 869 worked pretty well BUT the H870 was more consistent accuracy and velocity wise. The 870 is very hard to find now (why I have 24lbs) but works great for me...

John,

Just a point od clarification, I am using a 208gr Amax bullet - not the 240gr SMK.

I have reached 104.0 grs with no signs of pressure, no measured case head expansion, no cratered primmers, and etc. I am going to slowly increase the charge looking for a dip in group size.

I am at 0.75 moa right now. hoping for less than 0.5 moa.

I have 2 cans of US869 same lot# wishing I could find a 8lb jug, if I do not I may switch to RL-25 or 50BMG next year.

Looks like Kesselring's is dropping 8lb cans for rifle powders, I am kind of ticked off about that.

Chopaka,

Yep, I realized that (should've stated that I did), but just wanted to make sure that folks were very careful using that old data of mine with the 240.

Thanks,

Jon

John,

Just a point od clarification, I am using a 208gr Amax bullet - not the 240gr SMK.

I have reached 104.0 grs with no signs of pressure, no measured case head expansion, no cratered primmers, and etc. I am going to slowly increase the charge looking for a dip in group size.

I am at 0.75 moa right now. hoping for less than 0.5 moa.

I have 2 cans of US869 same lot# wishing I could find a 8lb jug, if I do not I may switch to RL-25 or 50BMG next year.

Looks like Kesselring's is dropping 8lb cans for rifle powders, I am kind of ticked off about that.

Do you know why Kesselrings is doing that? I agree, it is irritating. Do you know of anywhere 'local' where we can get 8lbs of powder? I typically have gotten my big jugs from Sportsmens Warehouse Burlington or Missoula, MT. (I may have to ask my father in law to scrounge around Missoula when I need some--no tax over there to boot.) Can't remember the name it has now--do they have any powder, or would they order powder in 8lb jugs? For that matter I haven't expressly asked Kesselrings if they would order an 8lb jug for me. I don't like dealing with 1lb jugs (even if you can get the same lot number) when you have cases taking 100g of powder or thereabouts--just go through the jugs too fast.

I have a bit of the 'old', 'slow' US869 left and just opened (a month ago) a different, newer 8lb jug of it--the jug that has caused me to back off on my loads a fair amount (and lose fps)... I've loaded 60 rounds at around 103g from that new jug. There should be over 7lbs left and I may be willing to part with it at a reduced price...hint, hint, wink, wink. :)

BTW, I shot a nice little muley 3 point with eyegards on the high buck hunt in the Pasayten Wilderness last week on a solo backpacking trip. I was glassing a hillside just before dark a 1000 yds away and heard suspicious noises just downslope. Grabbed my rifle and crawled 20ft to a bush and there's a nice buck just downslope. About 100yd shot. Sure glad I practice for those long shots! :rolleyes:

Chopaka Mt. is pretty close to the edge of the Pasayten. Do you venture into the Pasayten?

Last edited:
FWIW----in my testing for the 300 RUM and later the 300 Slowpoke which is an improved RUM the 869 worked pretty well BUT the H870 was more consistent accuracy and velocity wise. The 870 is very hard to find now (why I have 24lbs) but works great for me...

Interesting. I've heard it both ways with these two powders... Managed to get my hand on a 1lb of H870 a couple of years ago and ended up finding that, in my rifle, US869 was more consistent and gave better velocities. Interesting how experiences can differ.

1 LB cans sell for $23/can. How much did you pay for that 8 LB can?
Enough said.

It was a nearly two years ago. Just been sitting waiting for me to get to it as my other jug gave out, so I can't remember for sure. Seems like $160 rings a bell. It was more than $150 and less than $200.

Varmint Hunter
I'm going to start with us 869 but I need a starting point (grs) I will be using 210 gr Berger's vld hunting I cant seen to find a reloading book that is consistent some start at 86.2 up to 96.5 so im not sure if it would matter.
anyone have any suggestion's

I stopped at 104grs pushing a 208gr Hornady AMAX. Using Rem Brass and Fed 215 match primers. I think mid 90's in 0.5 gr steps a good choice.
Good Luck, Don

ok anyone experience this issue? .300 ultra mag factory 26 inch barrel 102.5 gr of 869 1/2 inch groups at 100y. 104.0gr behind 208 a-max 3/8 groups at 100y in cold temps only below 30 degrees. 5 inch groups at 100y with same loads in 80 degree temps using cci 250 mag primers should i switch primers ?

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.