Unbelievable Cost to Repair Fender Bender

If you want to make a claim for a potential loss of value, advise your SF adjuster you'd like to make a claim for diminished value. They might owe something depending on your state's laws, but the only way to really prove it is by selling the vehicle. Everything else is ballpark guesses and maybe's. On the flip side, you're never required to go to an insurance carrier's preferred shop.

IMG_0893.jpeg

Wife hit a fawn last year and only damage to the naked eye was the cracked bumper cover and grill, this one totaled $9,400….

Jill's car was parked in a parking lot when her car was hit. Now this is a "Fender Bender". The other driver was not going at any speed and only had a cracked bumper. His insurance State Farm told us to take to an Authorized Repair Shop. We took it there yesterday and we got the cost for repair today. I have been around vehicles all my life and can't believe what is being charged. I did not get a detailed breakdown. The damage as you can see from the pictures. The bumper had a dent, the lower reflector light is cracked, there is a dent in the Hatch Back Door and a small dent in the Quarter panel. Some of the seams on the body were out of line and the hatch back door worked fine and was aligned. They usually just put new plastic panels and a bumper covers on.
Parts $5,573.52
Labor 1,045.00
Other $934.30
Total $7,573.52

This is a relativity newer Shop and I thought that it would be "Stat of the Art" from looking outside.
I had to go there today to get a remote out of our vehicle and I did a tour because I had to use the rest room.
The place was a pig pen with vehicles scattered all over with parts and equipment laying everywhere. Nothing was clean. everyone with the exception of the front office person did not speak English.
I asked for a breakdown and detail cost review and they told me that it goes to the Insurance company and can't be shared with me since I am not the insured.
Talk about a rip off. Now wonder why vehicle insurance is so HIGH!!!!
Run, run as fast as you can!

Guy rear ended my 2015 f150 9 months after new-- they tossed the bed, bumper, and tail gate and bolted on new parts -- was $18000 to repair--- I bought a brand new 1/2 ton dodge In 1994 for the same price----- but then again, there are now $120000 trucks --, and you wonder why Insurance costs so much----- don't forget about the cost of the rental vehicle while your vehicle is being repaired

I just tried to sell that f150 and a dealer wanted to hit me for almost 10grand because the car fax shows "moderate rear end damage"--- yet I sold it private party for $25k In 3 days after I listed it

Car insurance is going up between 20-50% nation wide. If your hasn't gone up yet, you'll see it sometime in the next year or so. Also, my previous carrier, that I'd been with for 10+ years, is also raising the minimum deductible to $1000.

More fallout from the covid panic of 3-4 years ago.

Car insurance is going up between 20-50% nation wide. If your hasn't gone up yet, you'll see it sometime in the next year or so. Also, my previous carrier, that I'd been with for 10+ years, is also raising the minimum deductible to $1000.

More fallout from the covid panic of 3-4 years ago.
Everyone i know has changed car insurance in the last 3 years. They all acked up their rates. Shop around.

My wife took a turn too sharp on a residential street. The high curb was clad in steel because it had a water catch grate below it. The car's rocker panel contacted the steel and cause more damage than you'd imagine for a 10mph impact. Two weeks and $8,000 later and we got the car back looking like new. 🤣

Auto repair bills elevate quickly. Then your rates go up because you used your over-priced insurance. You just can't win.

Yep. Parts sky high and labor worse. Insurance companies prefer to total the vehicle, pay you off a minimum value, sell the car for scrap to get partial reimbursement (and another combustion vehicle off the road).
Yes if the just pay to get it fixed it is 100% loss to insurance. If they total it the ins pay lowest price to insured and then gets payback from selling to totaled vehicle off.

Putting in claims, even for minor damage, puts you on the "bad boy" list and can cause your rates to go up significantly. Over the years, my wife has had a few minor incidents in parking lots or wherever. If the damage is under $2,000 I pay it out-of-pocket even though it is covered. In the end, I'm probably saving money by not causing my rates to increase because of our claim history. It's a bummer to pay out-of-pocket when you have coverage but sometimes it makes financial sense. Auto insurance here in NY is very high to begin with.

Auto Insurance is getting redickles.
Wife and I have been looking for deals lately. You can find it a little less expensive but you will sacrifice something in your coverage. We ended up keeping our S.F. Insurance we've had for over 30 years and went with a Higher deductible to bring it down a little.
Automobiles are made to absorb the impact, but it is redickles. A member here Joe Singleton is a owner of a auto body shop, him and I talked about it recently.
You can push body panels in with your hands. Don't try it, that little dent you just made will cost you 500.00 or more.

The Wall Street Journal has had a number of stories on the high cost of repairing vehicles. Last week they wrote about car insurance - carriers are losing money due to the high cost of repairs. EVs are even more expensive - one reason Hertz is reducing their planned fleet of Teslas.