Unbelievable Cost to Repair Fender Bender

Coyote Shadow Tracker

LRH Sponsor
Jill's car was parked in a parking lot when her car was hit. Now this is a "Fender Bender". The other driver was not going at any speed and only had a cracked bumper. His insurance State Farm told us to take to an Authorized Repair Shop. We took it there yesterday and we got the cost for repair today. I have been around vehicles all my life and can't believe what is being charged. I did not get a detailed breakdown. The damage as you can see from the pictures. The bumper had a dent, the lower reflector light is cracked, there is a dent in the Hatch Back Door and a small dent in the Quarter panel. Some of the seams on the body were out of line and the hatch back door worked fine and was aligned. They usually just put new plastic panels and a bumper covers on.
Parts $5,573.52
Labor 1,045.00
Other $934.30
Total $7,573.52

This is a relativity newer Shop and I thought that it would be "Stat of the Art" from looking outside.
I had to go there today to get a remote out of our vehicle and I did a tour because I had to use the rest room.
The place was a pig pen with vehicles scattered all over with parts and equipment laying everywhere. Nothing was clean. everyone with the exception of the front office person did not speak English.
I asked for a breakdown and detail cost review and they told me that it goes to the Insurance company and can't be shared with me since I am not the insured.
Talk about a rip off. Now wonder why vehicle insurance is so HIGH!!!!

Attachments

• Jills car.jpg
    Jills car.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 103
  • Jills car2.jpg
    Jills car2.jpg
    246.9 KB · Views: 104
Auto body shops have aways been a mess going back to the 60's and I'm sure before that. Today there are so many pieces that are buried within the plastic including radar sensors and mounting pieces that when you peel back the onion you never know for sure what you will find that isn't anticipate. Through in logistics issues on obtain parts and its really amazing they ever get fixed.

We recently had some similar damage on a CR-V that I didn't use insurance on and the total came to $3500 or so. Just calibrating the cross traffic/blind spot sensor(s) was almost $600.

Auto body shops have aways been a mess going back to the 60's and I'm sure before that. Today there are so many pieces that are buried within the plastic including radar sensors and mounting pieces that when you peel back the onion you never know for sure what you will find that isn't anticipate. Through in logistics issues on obtain parts and its really amazing they ever get fixed.

We recently had some similar damage on a CR-V that I didn't use insurance on and the total came to $3500 or so. Just calibrating the cross traffic/blind spot sensor(s) was almost $600.
You are correct about the sensors.
I have been in lot of Auto Shops throughout the years being in Safety & Loss Control and there are shops that take pride in their work and business and others that don't. If you see someone that can't keep their work space clean and organized you think they are going to do a good job or work for you?

Make sure to take a real good look at the car in the sun . Alot of shops will put your car in the shade to hide paint flaws. The sun light will show proper color match and runs or trash as it's called in the paint . They usually rush them thru and don't take the time they bill for to properly color sand and buff . It removes the trash left from paint spray. Look for obvious tape lines as they don't always tape into the seams as required . Made the Dodge dealer paint my new 05 ram 3 times .

You are correct about the sensors.
I have been in lot of Auto Shops throughout the years being in Safety & Loss Control and there are shops that take pride in their work and business and others that don't. If you see someone that can't keep their work space clean and organized you think they are going to do a good job or work for you?

I don't disagree but I've seen some good work come out of messy shops and the best looking shop that I can remember was a total FU. A lot has to do with how busy things are.

I hope things go well for you on this one.

I got rear ended in my f150 few years back. Almost 5k for a new bumper all said an done. I just totalled a beater 2012 passat. Insurance gave me 8500 for a ***. That's what it cost 5 years ago. Cars are getting stupid expensive.

Holy cow!! That price does sound excessive. Is State Farm accepting that estimate?

I hit a deer a couple months ago and messed up grill, bumper, lights, and a fender. That ended up costing $5600.

Holy cow!! That price does sound excessive. Is State Farm accepting that estimate?

I hit a deer a couple months ago and messed up grill, bumper, lights, and a fender. That ended up costing $5600.
It is a State Farm Authorized Shop. Kind of wish they would send their adjuster to do the price, but then again it is only costing us our time and they did provide a new top of the line Ford Edge as a rental. But how is an accident going to affect (cost) our selling or trade in value???
Accidents happen and no one was injured. We still have the memory of Jill getting "Hit and Run" after leaving from the hospital when I had spinal surgery. It was in a rain storm at night in an unpopulated area. A bunch of illegals jumped out of their vehicle and pushed it to get it back on the road and took off. Leaving Jill alone. Took her 14 hours to get the vehicle towed with her in the tow truck home. Good thing we had excellent insurance for USAA, but the vehicle was totaled and lost $20K. then NO vehicles were available on the market at dealers so we got raped to buy a new vehicle. Such is life. Everything is so expensive with Vehicles with our economy and 18+% inflation. I wish I could buy a new truck. Still driving our 2005 Nissan Frontier.
Almost wish that our vehicle had more damage, and it was totaled without any personal injury. There is always a stigma when selling a vehicle if it was in an accident. "Car Fox".
Lots of WHISHES!
It is not like years ago when there was a dent and they pulled it out, bondoed and painted. Now everything (plastic & thin aluminum) is replaced. And forbid if a Head or Rear Light assembly is involved. $$$$$
Good luck, Drive Safe and DEFENSIVE!

But how is an accident going to affect (cost) our selling or trade in value???
It will affect it. The dealer will knock down trade-in value over it, unless the car is at end of useful life. Other insurance will likely not care and give you nothing to make up for the loss

I know a couple of people who have beat them though. But it was a lot of work and stress. One got a lawyer, but there were some other factors in play. The other one pursued it through their insurance, and somehow got some dough to make up for it, but it was a $80k vehicle.

We use to have something like this in engineering in my friends office. What a gas! Anytime someone needed to know an estimate for parts, lab time or program cost, we'd take them to Jim Lloyd's office and spin the "Random Number Generator".
Bob
I think that all repair shops now use a computer system and punch in what needs to be done and you get a $$$cost. Look at taking to three different shops and they all come in with a few $$ these day. Insurance companies are on the same systems also.