Ultrasonic case cleaning destructive?

cynicrit

Has anybody here actually had cases damaged by ultrasonic cleaners? Lots of opinions about whether they are worthwhile, but I'm more curious about rumors of case damage. Trying to cut through the smoke.

Sounds like BS to me. I'll be interested in learning how an ultrasonic cleaner could damage brass cartridge cases. A fella could always add a cleaner to the solution that damages cases. Other than that, it's as gentle as life ever gets.

The only cleaning solution I add is food grade Citric Acid. And I've read that Citric Acid actually enhances the corrosion resistance of the brass cartridge cases. Sounds like a win-win.

Last edited:
Jewelers use ultrasonic cleaners to clean fine jewelry worth thousands of dollars. I doubt that it could cause damage to a brass cartridge case. As others have mentioned, the cleaning solution might make the biggest difference. Make sure nothing contains ammonia that you put in there.

I've heard plenty of horror stories of people using the wrong type of cleaning solution and messing up the cleaning unit itself. But the act of ultra sonic cleaning shouldn't hurt the brass in any way.

Thank you. Once again, lots of helpful input. The rumor I heard was to the effect that the brass wold rub together and wear down, and actually get pitting n spots from the "micro cavitation" that knocks the dirt off. A fellow reloaded showed me a website where they made these claims, with pictures and everything. Seemed like B.S.,but I thought I'd get some trustworthy input.

Has anybody here actually had cases damaged by ultrasonic cleaners? Lots of opinions about whether they are worthwhile, but I'm more curious about rumors of case damage. Trying to cut through the smoke.

I've cleaned thousands and thousands of cases with my Ultrasonic cleaner, and at pretty high temps for extended periods of time...And no issues here.

I guess if you could get the temp over 200º for really long periods of time, it might could (possibly) cause some sort of damage? But I've never seen any.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.