Ultrasonic Case cleaning under $65

Flybuster

I bought an ultrasonic cleaner after reading reviews and post on another website 6mmbr.com. The machine cost $28.99 from Harbor Freight Tools. The Detergent I bought is called Citranox. A citrus detergent concentrate. By concentrate I mean you can take one gallon of it at make up to one hundred gallons of solution. So for $36 your set for a very long time. So I have been doing alot of shooting and reloading lately, and of course brass cleaning and am quite happy with the results. I am allergic to tumbler media (walnut) so this is the perfect solution. This little unit has a one pint capacity so i can only do 5-10 25-06 Ackley cases at a time. There is tons of info on this subject on 6mmbr.com so check it out if you are interested.
03305-t.gif
citranox.jpg

Depends on how clean you want the inside of the cases. If you just want to clean the outside 3-6 minutes. I have run them 15-20 minutes just to see how clean I can get them. It makes the insides shiny like new. My little cleaner has a 3 minute shut-off so I have to sit near it to keep it going. No biggie. I havent really checked but other ultrasonic cleaners may not have this 3 minute shut-off, would be alittle more convieniet.

I tried a low power ultrasonic cleaner, and I was very disappointed. It cost about $125 and after several hours, the cases still had a lot of crud in the primer pockets.

I read the article on 6mmBR:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

And they throw some light on the chemicals that make the process work, so when I have the loose change to get a larger ultrasonic cleaner, I'll give it a try again.

Fly... if you are allergic to the walnut stuff, have you tried corn cob? I use it in my large Dillon and the cases look like they just came off a jewelers wheel.

After using Citranox, I was pretty impressed with the results. Others have used a mixute, like Jason Baney who wrote the article you linked. He Used all sorts of household stuff, the only thing with that is you usually have to use a neutralizing agent. Or your brass will change colors. This Citranox is designed for ultrasonic Metal brightening, so theres only one process, no neutralizing involved. Yeah, Catshooter I did uses Corncob media once, the fact is I just think tumbling is a pain in the butt.

Flybuster , what's in the Citranox ? I'm guessing no Ammonia which workhardens Brass . Maybe Citric Acid ??? If so , any idea how it affects Brass ??? Many years ago I went thru every Brass Cleaning Concoction in some Chemical Handbook and used a Commercial HD Ultrasonic Unit during my lunch Hour to do the Tests . I only found one Solution that was amazing good . It was a dilute Acid that cleaned like CRAZY . I won't list it here because it would be dangerous to use without a Chem. Hood , and I have no idea what it did to the brass structure . The surprising thing was it left a bright , more yellow finish with a Passivation Layer on the Brass . You could finger that Brass for months and it would still stay shiny .

[ QUOTE ]
I only found one Solution that was amazing good . It was a dilute Acid that cleaned like CRAZY . I won't list it here because it would be dangerous to use without a Chem. Hood , and I have no idea what it did to the brass structure . The surprising thing was it left a bright , more yellow finish with a Passivation Layer on the Brass . You could finger that Brass for months and it would still stay shiny .

[/ QUOTE ]

Oddly enough... I do have a hood, and minored in chemistry (when I was going to be a professional Alchemist /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif ).

What was the acid, and what was the Passivation compound??

[ QUOTE ]
Flybuster , what's in the Citranox ? I'm guessing no Ammonia which workhardens Brass . Maybe Citric Acid ??? If so , any idea how it affects Brass ???

[/ QUOTE ]Phospate-free Citranox® contains a blend of organic acids, anionic and non-ionic surfactants and alkanolamines,what-ever that means.

[ QUOTE ]
I tried a low power ultrasonic cleaner, and I was very disappointed. It cost about $125 and after several hours, the cases still had a lot of crud in the primer pockets.

I read the article on 6mmBR:

http://www.6mmbr.com/ultrasonic.html

And they throw some light on the chemicals that make the process work, so when I have the loose change to get a larger ultrasonic cleaner, I'll give it a try again.

Fly... if you are allergic to the walnut stuff, have you tried corn cob? I use it in my large Dillon and the cases look like they just came off a jewelers wheel.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey Paul, I think you got a bum US unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Mine cost like 50$ shipped and is what I ran the tests with for the article...

Citranox works OK...haven't played with it a lot yet, but have tried it. Also working with another citric acid cleaner soon...

Jason

p.s.: thought you were going to shoot my smiley match /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Paul, I think you got a bum US unit /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Mine cost like 50$ shipped and is what I ran the tests with for the article...

Citranox works OK...haven't played with it a lot yet, but have tried it. Also working with another citric acid cleaner soon...

Jason

p.s.: thought you were going to shoot my smiley match /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to shoot it... but for these last two years, I have been fighting a custody thing in court for my son, and I'm doing it myself (I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy).

I can't find enuff time to shoot it now, but the case is supposed to be over this summer. I spend 40 hours a week on this crapola - I'll never be able to do jury duty again. If the public knew how the courts worked from the insides, they would burn them to the ground and start over again.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.