Ultra mags and Berger Bullets

How many of you RUM shooters are shooting Bergers at magazine length with good accuracy? ( Sub MOA ) or better . Seems to me that unless you have a RUM custom chambered there is no way to seat bullets any where near the "sweet spot". The RUM's just have too much freebore, .40 if I remember correctly. Bullets are almost completely clear of the case mouth before engaging the lands. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

We loaded the 215 Berger at mag length in my friend's 300RUM. It shoots sub-1/2 MOA at 200 yds. We tried it seated farther than mag length as a single shot, but the groups were not nearly as tight. Great bullet for the RUM.

The Rem 700 LRH stainless in 300RUM I have prints 1/2" groups very well, with 210 VLDH seated 2.9640" CBTO/3.650" COAL, just below magazine length. Using Norma cases, CCI-250 and Retumbo combination currently and am content keeping the MV at 3050fps right now.

The 230 OTM seems insensitive to seating depth, I'm at mag length and they are shooting superb. I can run them to the lands but have to single feed.
A RUM isn't like a Weatherby throat.

I have been using the Berger 250 Elite Hunter in my 338RUM. Loaded to magazine length they are .220" off the rifling. With a favorable load they shoot into 1.5" - 2" at 400 yds.

I had a wyatts 3.8 box installed in my 338 RUM last year. I seat my 300 gr Berger OTM's to 3.800 and I am still .090 off the lands. It is a one hole group though.

I run Berger's in my Edge, I cannot load to mag length @ 3.7" without the bullet ogive being below the case mouth, so I just single load and not worry about it.

I could install a Wyatt's box and load to 4.00" and below, but don't see the point, TBH.

Why can't you just single load, it's not difficult dropping a cartridge on the follower and closing the bolt?

Cheers.
gun)

I load the 300 berger elite hunter to mag length in my 338 rum sendero with retumbo and it shoots one hole groups. I know i couldnt beleive it either, but it does. Right at 2700 fps.

Thanks for all the input. I had been working on developing a load with the 175 gr. LRAB's with less than stellar results in my 7 RUM. I however have 2 boxes of 168 VLD's from my 7 RM. So before creating more frustration for myself I thought I'd throw it to the forum for input.. Any one shooting the 7 RUM and 168 VLD's and willing to share some info with a fellow shooter... I know the 7 RUM would benefit much more from the 180's or the 195's. I have a 300 RUM on the way for my Elk work this fall, that will be pushing the 215 hybrids Thanks

Ive shot the 162 eldx outta my 7 rum with good results, ill see if i can find the load. Shoot the 195 outta it now and that bullet is amazing. Stock remington barrel also with 1-9.25 twist. Shoots the 195 right at an inch which is good enough for a hunting rifle. Shot my antelope at 730 last year with it. Ill get back to you with the info.

I shoot the 180 hybrids in my 7 RUM at mag length. The jump to the lands is substantial, but I'm at 3/4 MOA with very little load development. 86 grains of Retumbo and CCI 250 Magnum primers deliver 3100 fps with no pressure signs .

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.