300WSM and Berger Bullets

I noticed a couple of you guys mentioned primers and there seem to be of the standard large rifle variety as opposed to magnum primers. Did you guys test out magnum primers and find that the standard primers gave better results?

I have tried both. I get lower ES with the standard F210M and H4350

I noticed a couple of you guys mentioned primers and there seem to be of the standard large rifle variety as opposed to magnum primers. Did you guys test out magnum primers and find that the standard primers gave better results?
I'll let you know next time I get out. Just loaded up 20 rounds with 215's (215- magnum primers)

Last edited:
The 300WSM with the 215 Bergers is a great pairing for me. I use to use the 185 & 190 Bergers and loved the performance, but the 215's are just so much better. I am trying to get the 400 to 1,000 yard shot on deer, but gotta take what the good Lord sets before you. My Savage 16BVSS will shoot sub ¾ MOA at 550 yards out to 800 yards all day long as long as I do my part. I am getting 2870 MV out of 67 grains of H4831SC. I have 8 to 10 reloads per brass case plus the original factory load on them and all is good.

I just returned from a week long deer hunt just east of the Texas Big Bend area taking 3 white tail from 270 to 240 yards. Exit wounds were all in excess of three inches, all were DRT (dead right there) dropped in their tracks. Last year was a single Oklahoma buck at 300 yards, DRT after a 7 yard stumble. In the area we hunt in you do not want your deer wandering off unless you like a stroll through dense sticker, thorn and cactus bushes plus boot crawlers and mesquite.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.