300 Ultra Mag, and 190 Berger VLD..

7stw

Anybody shooting 190 VLD in 300 RUM? I am sure that some one does, but shot some today in my Sendero. I was given a dozen or so to try , and decided to try a few in the 300 with 93- RL25, using 215 primer. OAL length was 3.645. This load was not hot , in fact, it was in the middle range in the Sierra book. Did not chrono this load, but it seems flat. When I shot it at 100' then 200' the measurement above POI was nearly the same at 200. Accuracy was amazing, but not surprising. These Bergers shoot. I had a .682 group at 200' and a .413 at 100. One thing I will say is when you touch the trigger, man, the recoil is stout!!!!! I am not recoil sensitive, but this one will let you know you are alive! It is definitely not a fun load to shoot from the bench. Any thoughts on this load, or possibly a better powder? I would like to do a little more research with this bullet. I like the BC, but may back it down a little, or maybe select a slower powder. ( P/S, the muzzle flash was awesome) . I got comments from some of the guys at the pistol range when I was shooting it today. I have been using RL 22 and a lighter bullet, but had a bad experience with that combo last deer season. Any thoughts guys?

If accuracy is good, why mess with it. For recoil, I have a break on mine and it kicks like a 243. I was a big fan of rl-22 in mine when I first got it because the accuracy was great. But then I got some powder that was more like rl-19. I like rl-25 in my 338 rum, but do to temp sensitivity, I have changed over to H-1000 in both of my rums.

If accuracy is good, why mess with it. For recoil, I have a break on mine and it kicks like a 243. I was a big fan of rl-22 in mine when I first got it because the accuracy was great. But then I got some powder that was more like rl-19. I like rl-25 in my 338 rum, but do to temp sensitivity, I have changed over to H-1000 in both of my rums.

You are the second person that has said that they got a " batch" that seemed way to fast, or more like 19' instead of 22. I can see where that would be a problem! Can you say" stuck bolt". As far as the brake, I have been trying to avoid it, but I may have to if I am going to shoot the heavier bullets. The recoil alone affects MY accuracy with this rifle. Overall, I have no complaints with it. I have killed a boat load of deer with it, but as I said before, I need to go to a heavier bullet.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.