Ultimate 338 cal Gun

Thanks for all the info guys

My plan for the rifle is to go Grizzly hunting in 2008. This would be the ultimate use for this gun, will have to try those 325gr bullets. I know the grizzly wouldnt be long range, unless I could find a guide who was up for it. The gun would also be used for elk hunting and maybe a trip to try and redeem myself at moose hunting.

I guess I would also have to see what it would do to a little Oklahoma whitetail.

I am probably leaning on the Kahn, my business has a surplus of WBY brass in 338/378 and 2700lbs of knockdown at 1000yds is **** impressive with a 300gr bullet.

BBL length I would want as short as possible, 26-28" would be nice.

Jsut wanted to see what you guys thought, always interesting to see what people think is the biggest and best of a particluar caliber.

thanks
steve

Hey for a Griz the 378 WBY cannot be beat with a stick!! I would consider that for the big bruin! Long or short range it will get the job done!

Good Luck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am just not a fan of the double radius shoulder, not sure if there is anything wrong with it I just like a conventional sharp shoulder. The 378 WBY is a power house though

steve

[ QUOTE ]
I am just not a fan of the double radius shoulder, not sure if there is anything wrong with it I just like a conventional sharp shoulder. The 378 WBY is a power house though

steve

[/ QUOTE ]

YUP. I had 3 of them! I have worked more with this caliber than any other. How do 260 Accubonds at 3200 fps sound? SMOKIN'!!! Man! talk about some long range elk hunting. Every elk went 4 feet after being hit.....Vertically.
And no I used actual hunting bullets not that SMK crap /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Sorry had to say that! Serenity now!!

I am planning on using the 300gr WildCat ULD for elk and the 325gr Flat Base for bear.

The Kahn should get the 300gr uld up to 3100fps, that is some knock down power.

steve

[ QUOTE ]
I am planning on using the 300gr WildCat ULD for elk and the 325gr Flat Base for bear.

steve

[/ QUOTE ]

Wildcat? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

POP:

You've got to get out more!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If you've got a few hours to spare use the search function and look for Wildcat. Don't search for "all forums", it'll only go to 200 and there's too many. Break it down into separate forums.

Lerch, ok, 6-6 and 175. i changed my mind. gain about 20 in the weight room and that 12 pounder won't be much problem. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

They are a pretty awesome looking bullet. They got a ring around the boattail, dont know exactly what its called, but they were on the 125g uld's on the .257". On these particular bullets, the hollow point was the size of a needle, but they still expanded ok for me at 2950fps. POP, I'm not to sure if you would like them, they might seem like a target bullet to you, I know how you feel about target bullets on game, but Richard makes these for game. They have all been working beautifully for us who have tried them on game anyways. They are built a little tougher then the smk's and vld's from my understanding. I shot my big whitetail with them at 440 yards, not exactly where I wanted to put the bullet, but it did substantial damage considering the shot placement, I dont think a "designated" hunting bullet say a 110g AB or 115g BTip would have made any difference of expansion. I also shot 2 coyotes with them, 1 at 100 yards or so, the other at 602 or something. Very accurate bullets as well. During load development, at 200 and 300 yards, none went over 3/4MOA. With all loads tested, the load I used held .3- .5 MOA. You just might want to give them a try.

FWIW--I have killed more feral hogs at the ranch than I can remember with the 338 Lapua (AI AWM) at ranges from 200 to about 600 and have never had a bullet failure with the 250 SMK's. Ok--Flame Suit On!! Go Ahead!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

trust me I am trying, I think I have the metabolism of a gerbil, i blink and I burn 100 calories!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.