Ultimate 338 cal Gun

Kirby,

Thank you for the great explaination!
I can't wait to hear the reports and stories
on your 338AM.

Regards,

JD338

Hey kirby?

Any plans on necking down the 416 barret any time soon? it is a shortened 50 cal. supposedly has @ 200 grain powder capacity . pushing the 400 grain 416 brass bullet with outside pressure rings(like the Grooves) to 3300.

You are the one always pushing the envelope so i thought i would ask.

d-a

why neck it down? that thing is a hammer. saw in a mag where it split a huge rock in half at 400 or some odd range. maybe a long .375? ouch!

it in its self is a hammer, however the limited projectiles is why i would neck such a beast down.

D-a,

Yes I have been eyeing the Barrett for several months now since I heard it would be coming out. The problem would be getting brass. Old Ronny does not believe in handloaded ammo in his rifles so will not offer empty brass for sale, at least I have not been able to source any.

TO be honest, first time I say that case, visions of Richards Graves new soon to be released .458" VLD RBBT popping instantly into my head /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Only issue, you need a BMG receiver. The only reason Ronny came out with the 416 was to stick it to the California politicians that banned the BMG. Good idea if you ask me!!

As far as the 416 Barrett is concerned though, it is a hell of a potent round. I was a bit suprised to see the muzzle velocity only at 3300 fps though. I was expecting more then that. I am hoping to get that in my 338 AM with a 350 gr bullet but in a 40" barrel of course. Still in that size bore I would have expected to see +3400 fps in a 30" or longer barrel.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.