The "Ultimate" Savage

Tyler Kemp

When I turn 18 (about a year and a half) I want to build a long range gun on a budget. Here is what I was thinking, but I'm sure I'm missing something-

Savage Target Action (right bolt left port)-$469
Shilen or Lothar Walther Barrel-$275
Joel Russo Stock-$265
$50 Pachmayer pad...haven't decided
Custom Bipod-$____
Bases and Rings-$60
Muzzlebrake and Installation-$200
Callahan Recoil Lug-$30

I guess I will go through step by step, I am open to change on anything-

Savage Target Action (right bolt left port)-$469
I figure this is a good action at a good price, and it comes with everything needed, especially the trigger. I think the right bolt left port looks good, plus I like to be different, and it is supposed to be extra rigid (explains my 45-70...) With a magnum bolt face I should be able to do everything except extract a loaded round right?

Shilen or Lothar Walther Barrel-$275
Caliber is still up for grabs, I keep learning more every day on this site. I am leaning towards a large 7mm though, maybe STW, AM, or RUM. Maybe a 338 too, but for 30 calibers the light bullet weights don't have good BC and have added recoil over the 7mm. I am hoping 30" barrel, as fat as the action will allow. Maybe 32", depends on my budget. Are there any other manufacturers where I can get a good barrel at a price I can afford? ER Shaw is cheap and I have a 6mm AI barrel from them, but they don't make longer barrels and twist rates are limited.

Joel Russo Stock-$265
This is not for certain, I just like the looks of his stocks. I have one coming from Boyds, but it is taking so much longer than they quoted that I will not buy from them again. I can't afford a McMillan, but any other stock that looks good I am willing to look at, especially if they are any cheaper.

Pachmayer Pad-$50
Which one should I get?

Custom Bipod-$____
Either this or a Harris, if I go with Harris, would you recommend the 6"-9" or 9"-13"?

Bases and Rings-$60
I'm thinking Leupold or Burris bases that I can adjust for windage, and Burris Signature rings, I can't justify $100+ for an angled base.

Muzzlebrake and Installation-$200
I am totally unsure of who to choose on this, and prices for brakes and installation fluctuate a ton. I really like the brake on the 308 in the gun photos forum built by 308Nate though.

Callahan Recoil Lug-$30
Not sure if this is even needed over the factory lug, but if I am going to go "all out" for an 18 year old's budget I won't want to wonder what an extra $30 could have done.

And the extras:
What dies?
What brass? (depends on caliber I guess)
What bullets? (VLD or Wildcats?)
What scope? (Needs lots of adjustment, spot on tracking, decent price)

This has been one of my favorite sites to learn about absolute accuracy, I'm sure you guys will find whatever I forgot to put in.

Thanks,
Tyler

Last edited:
I would start buying parts now if I were you, the only thing you can't legally buy yourself is the action(have a parent do it). Northland sells the target actions for $427 shipped. A 30" barrel from Shilen will cost a little over $300, the $275 you have figured would buy a 26". Pac-Nor builds prefit Savage barrels also, ~$380 for a 30" barrel. Shilen and Pac-Nor will both install muzzle brakes also. I just ordered an A5L from Joel Russo and it was $325+shipping, some of his other styles are cheaper. The OTM stocks from Stockade can be had for relatively cheap if want fiberglass and don't mind doing the finish work. EGW sells 20 and 25 MOA bases for ~$40 and the Farrell bases are only ~$60. A set of signature rings would still let you fine tune the windage. The Savage target action comes with a recoil lug which I've heard is a decent piece, as opposed to the one they put on there other rifles. Dies, brass, and bullets will depend on what cartridge you end up deciding on. For a scope on a budget I've been very happy with my Nikons.

If you can't tell I've researched this a little as I'm working on a budget Savage build myself(2 actually).

I'm broke now, although I will start acquiring parts. Maybe for my 17th birthday I'll get the action as a present from grandparents, parents, etc. Christmas the barrel and bases and rings, maybe have the muzzle brake installed in factory too. By then I'll have money for the stock, somehow I'll come up with a scope.

What is required to finish the fiberglass stock?

...I'll get the action as a present from grandparents, parents, etc. Christmas the barrel and bases and rings, maybe have the muzzle brake installed in factory too. ...

Depending on the muzzle brake you get, you may want it timed. For example, if you get a muzzle brake that doesn't have holes all the way around, there will be a top/bottom. If you have it installed at the factory, when you install the barrel and headspace it, the brake probably won't line up.

If you get the barrel and headspace it, then mark the top, then have the muzzle brake installed and aligned correctly. It all depends on the type of muzzle brake you are going to get.

AJ

ps: Also, does the stock you're looking at come with a pre-installed recoil pad? If not, add a good pad to your list.

WOW, good thinking! I was thinking about send off a barrel to have a brake put in my 6mm AI before I ever put it on the rifle...good thing I read that!

i have 7 savage build UPS that i have finished in the safe. i will tell you sharp shoots supplies brake work great. deal with Fred he is a great guy and does good work at a good price. all of my barrels have his brakes on them. have you been over to savageshooters.com yet

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.