Uh oh.... I screwed up

Caiati, so do you lap your rings also?

I have lapped rings in the past but with the one piece base being bedded and straight I didn't feel I needed to especially with the NF rings. I don't expect I'll have anything shift with my setup. When I use a two piece base, I will lap them to make sure I'm getting 80%-90%. I haven't ever had any issues with NF rings/base combo as long as it's bedded to the receiver.

I agree that using the Nightforce base and rings, and bedding the base as you did is pretty much fool proof. But since you still have machined parts; base and rings, I would double check. Sure wouldn't hurt anything. I hate to see scope ring marks in scopes, as seen on many used scopes. I'm in the process of scoping a 450 Bushmaster and concerned about the factory mounted rail. I'm going to pull it and probably bed it as you have suggested. Since it is a Savage rifle, all things will be checked prior to laying the scope in there.

I appreciate what you are saying. I actually checked it after I pulled it off of my previous rifle. There were zero marks on the scope so I felt comfortable enough to mount the scope back in the same rings. I had zero issues with anything moving on the previous rifle and don't expect to on this rifle. I will say though that the gap from the front to the rear of the receiver was pretty substantial. I'm not sure if Christensen actually starts with Remington receivers and squares them up or if they manufacture their own.... I should call and ask.

Should be here sometime this week. As long as the attention to detail is there, I'm going to use AG over Manners.

Now that you should have that new stick mounted up, what are your thoughts? Will you buy another over Manners or McMillan? Would you make the same purchase if all 3 were available today?

Sorry - I didn't get back sooner.

Here are my thoughts: the stock is very well made and feels good. It is the lightest stock I've ever handled which includes the Manners EH-1A. The fit would've been perfect if I had a standard Rem700 but the action and bottom metal are slightly different on a Christensen. I had to do some fitting myself but no big deal. Overall if all three were available today I'd buy it again simply because of the price. I love the manners stocks but they are definitely not worth the extra money over the AGC. I will most likely be bedding the recoil lug soon but with a three shot group at .263" @ 100yds I'm not in a hurry. Here are some pictures of the completed rifle:

Attachments

• EF2608C7-FD2D-4049-80BF-62D47DF697B3.jpeg
    EF2608C7-FD2D-4049-80BF-62D47DF697B3.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 131
  • 17B6FEA0-D0D4-43D6-A005-308423B5E241.jpeg
    17B6FEA0-D0D4-43D6-A005-308423B5E241.jpeg
    287.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 8D9EACFF-34E0-4D81-93D8-8B64E54D4EDD.jpeg
    8D9EACFF-34E0-4D81-93D8-8B64E54D4EDD.jpeg
    308.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 93670A0E-CF28-4B91-87CA-F0A7454AE9AB.jpeg
    93670A0E-CF28-4B91-87CA-F0A7454AE9AB.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 124
Sorry - I didn't get back sooner.

Here are my thoughts: the stock is very well made and feels good. It is the lightest stock I've ever handled which includes the Manners EH-1A. The fit would've been perfect if I had a standard Rem700 but the action and bottom metal are slightly different on a Christensen. I had to do some fitting myself but no big deal. Overall if all three were available today I'd buy it again simply because of the price. I love the manners stocks but they are definitely not worth the extra money over the AGC. I will most likely be bedding the recoil lug soon but with a three shot group at .263" @ 100yds I'm not in a hurry. Here are some pictures of the completed rifle:

Thanks for the feedback. That's a great looking rig and it's tough to beat that performance!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.