I think I screwed up my pillar bore

SavageHunter11

Was working on an old wooden stock I've been experimenting with inletting for a spare bottom metal I had laying around. Tonight when I went to test fit the barreled action to the stock, it appears my piloted counterbore drill bit I got from StockyStocks drilled my pillar hole off axis to the original action screw holes. Do I have a big piece of scrap lumber now or is there a way to fix this? Had thought to take the counterbore bit and try to reem the hole out or use some 80 grit sandpaper to elongated the bore enough to get the pillar in the correct position and cross my fingers the epoxy fills in and holds my in my botched bore. I attached a picture below but I don't know if I did it properly so there might not be one. Hopefully someone has an idea for me. I've put a lot of time into this stock and hunting season will be here soon enough. Thanks.

vpeRdF4

I believe the stock's pillars are 9/16 diameter. The hole only 5/16 or slightly less. Leaves some "meat" to grind of the side/end of pillar in the direction you wish it to move.
If it is close I would go that route rather than remove more wood.
I set all my pillars before bedding and use to fabricated 1/4-20 studs threaded both ends. Studs threaded into action and are long enough to reach completely through the stock. Spacers and nuts are used to "snug" the action in stock while pillars/epoxy are setting up. The studs are wrapped with tape to effectively center the stud in the pillar and keep epoxy from oozing alongside the stud.
All the normal epoxy release precautions must be taken.
"Double" nutting the studs for removal after epoxy is completely set.
I use the same stud method during the actual bedding process. They have worked well for me on many stocks. The action screws always end up centered in the pillars. Also when setting pillars first I wrap the barrel somewhere around the center with layers of tape so that it keeps the action/barrel parallel with the stock.
Good luck,
Randy

With the savages I've had the best luck cutting the notch for the trigger in the rear pillar with a dremmel after the pillars are set.

If I understand correctly, you got the hole for the pillar in the wrong spot? If so, just glue a piece of proper sized dowel in there and re-drill after the glue sets. Well, this has worked for me many, many times.

Also, I would use a slightly larger brad point bit. I want Devcon around the pillars. Used studs, as mentioned. I bought my pillars on line, the rear one was pre notched. Either way, your dilemma is an easy fix. Plug the hole, and re-drill. Done.

I believe the Savage action threads are 1/4-28 TPI. The dowel trick is the way to go. Should be easy to epoxy a piece in and redrill.

I believe the Savage action threads are 1/4-28 TPI. The dowel trick is the way to go. Should be easy to epoxy a piece in and redrill.
Correct; my bad, the studs I make are made from 1/4-28 #5 x 2-1/2" bolts I cut the bolt head off and thread the "stockside" end 1/4-20 just because of a good supply of the nuts in my parts bin.

Despite my username the rifle is built off a Remington 700 action. Savages don't offer really any carbon fiber stock options for left handed shooters and I currently have a Manners on order but it will be next spring before I see it. Would you happen to know Savage and Remingtons share the same thread pitch in their action screw?

Bore bigger holes on center and make the pillars larger OD. I like to partially/lightly plunge a cut-off tool into the side of the pillar in a couple places and then cut sort-of matching grooves in the stock so that the epoxy has a mechanical lock in addition to adhesion.

I checked my notes and Howa's are 6x1.00.
Can confirm M6 X 1.00 as far as the Howa Mini's go. I bought button head, Torx drive Titanium action screws from someplace like "titaniumbolts.com" for one.

I'd over bore and fill up the space with epoxy. You have to clamp the pillars to the action but I would assume you are doing that anyways. The bottom metal will cover the oversized hole on a 700 so no one will see it. I've fixed a few DIY jobs this way and it doesn't require any more work than normal. May not be the best way but it works.

It depends on what tooling you have at your home shop . If you have a small machine shop in your area you can get then to set it up in a manual milling machine and cut you a new hole true to the stock with a center cut end mill then use an oversized dowel to fill the hole epoxied into the stock get it re-drilled for your pillar . A templet made from your bottom metal will help to get the holes in the correct positions it's all just part of the learning experience in the journey of life . If you never make a mistake you aren't doing any thing or you just don't admit to it .

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts