I think I need some help.

kc

I have a Remington Action with one piece scope mounts that is going in for bluing a new Barrel
is ready for threading.
The previous owner used some kind of lock tight, I have heated it with my propane torch
and the screws won't budge. the guy used slotted screws and he destroyed the slots.
the screws are hardend its a cluster @##$# have you ever had this problem?
I don't have a bridgport mill to do this job I wish I did.

Me thinks its going to take some accurate machining to remedy your situation.

Best take it to someone with the proper tools and knows how to use them.

I'd also consider boring and threading to a larger size which would also require opening the base holes also. Not necessary . . . while you're at it . . . kind of thing.

Good luck.

I have had this situation a few times. I have removed the head of the difficult screw, or screws with a drill or Dremel. You can then lift the mount off and can use a vice grip to get a solid grip on the protruding stud. The mount may not be usable after doing this. If in doubt, I'd bring it to a gunsmith.

i have had this situation a few times. I have removed the head of the difficult screw, or screws with a drill or dremel. You can then lift the mount off and can use a vice grip to get a solid grip on the protruding stud. The mount may not be usable after doing this. If in doubt, i'd bring it to a gunsmith.

+1

j e custom

take a driver style bit that fits the slots as close as possible, set them on the screw head, hit the bit sharply with a ball peen hammer. This usually deforms the screw threads and breaks the lok-tite loose. now insert in driver and remove.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.