Am I about to screw up my savage?

gordonie

So I own a Savage 111 (bottom bolt release, visible cocking indicator) and I just bought a PTG replacement bolt body because the stock one is ugly, and a bolt lift kit to try and reduce some of the roughness when cocking.

here are the parts.

lift kit

bolt body

two problems. Little did I realize that my cocking indicator that pierces the main bolt body screw is in the way of this lift kit. I've seen identical models in videos that do not have this cocking indicator, will it hurt the rifle at all to just dremel the cocking indicator off so I can fit this lift kit inside the bolt? To me the piece of metal I am about to cut off serves no other visible purpose.

second problem. The replacement bolt body from PTG is about 4 thousands of an inch longer when measured end to end with calipers. And about 3 thousands Shorter than the OEM bolt body when measured to the inside the grove where the bolt handle sits. This shouldn't effect headspace correct? to my understanding because savage uses a floating bolt head with a spring washer means the position of the bolt head inside the breach should remain unchanged. again, wanting to make sure I don't double screw myself.

thanks LRH!

The bolt body length change won't affect headspace if you are using the same bolt head. It may however affect the primary extraction function. A longer bolt diminished PE, while if too short may initiate the PE before the bolt lugs clear the abutments. You may not notice three or four thousands either way. The bolt lift kit is made to work with the old style firing pin. If removing the indicator pin gets you there it should work, but I would like to see both to be sure. A call out to Nate Lambeth would be the best bet on that one.

Thanks MNbogboy. great insight about the extraction, I never thought about that. Ill have to assemble it and just test it a couple times.

and I did end up sawing off the cocking indicator and the lift kit goes in perfectly.

thanks for the advice!

Thanks MNbogboy. great insight about the extraction, I never thought about that. Ill have to assemble it and just test it a couple times.

and I did end up sawing off the cocking indicator and the lift kit goes in perfectly.

thanks for the advice!
Also the true distance from the cross-pin hole to the back of the body not including the bolt handle "ears" should be the comparison. The difference may be neglible if your lucky.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.