Uh oh.... I screwed up

I kinda thought so. I believe that's way over kill, unless on a hard recoiling rifle. At the most, I only use blue locktight on bases and nothing on rings. Been doing this for many years and many rifles. If bases are correct and rings too, that's all you should ever need. unless on a very hard recoiling rifle.

I didn't use epoxy to adhere the base to the receiver, only to allow it to sit true on top of the receiver. I didn't want my base to flex in the middle and cause my rings to be untrue to the scope. If you are referring to using epoxy on the screws going into the receiver, than no. If I needed anything to keep the screws from backing out, I too would use blue locktite. Since this isn't a heavy recoiling rifle, I didn't use anything on the screws.

I always use blue loctite on base screws (or rail screws). The bedding is to give the rail a stress fee and level spot to sit so it doesn't get bent when you tighten the screws between the rail and the receiver.

My bad! I didn't mean to infer you purposely put epoxy in the screw holes. I suspected you were using it on the rail. However, if you have the best rails, you should not need it at all. I use EGW rails and TPS rings. You might go back in the articles section and find mine on doing this. It was in Jan'12, titled the black rifle something. So long ago I can't remember it! LOL. Anyways, to sum up what I said then is to use the best bases and rings and quality scopes to get the best results.

My bad! I didn't mean to infer you purposely put epoxy in the screw holes. I suspected you were using it on the rail. However, if you have the best rails, you should not need it at all. I use EGW rails and TPS rings. You might go back in the articles section and find mine on doing this. It was in Jan'12, titled the black rifle something. So long ago I can't remember it! LOL. Anyways, to sum up what I said then is to use the best bases and rings and quality scopes to get the best results.

No worries! I appreciate the feedback. I am using Nightforce rail, Nightforce UL rings and Nightforce scope. I'm thinking it was more the Christensen Arms receiver and not the rail. At any rate, everything sits perfect now and there was no epoxy in the screw holes. Scope is mounted, perfectly level and all is well.

OK, I use epoxy to bed my base. I had to remove base and epoxy, it was actually quite simple. Get an old dish rag or some other old rag, get it wet and ring out by hand and place on top of the base. Next get an iron and turn it to high and place on top of the rag. Leave the iron for 5 minutes, make sure you have it over the screw you need to remove. If it's not loose in 5 minutes let it set 5 more minutes. My entire base and the epoxy pad came off after about 7 minutes. Good luck. By the way I use JB Weld.

OK, I use epoxy to bed my base. I had to remove base and epoxy, it was actually quite simple. Get an old dish rag or some other old rag, get it wet and ring out by hand and place on top of the base. Next get an iron and turn it to high and place on top of the rag. Leave the iron for 5 minutes, make sure you have it over the screw you need to remove. If it's not loose in 5 minutes let it set 5 more minutes. My entire base and the epoxy pad came off after about 7 minutes. Good luck. By the way I use JB Weld.

Thanks for that info! I had release agent on the receiver so the base was fine. If I ever need to remove a bolt with epoxy I will use that trick!

Caiati, where did you get that handle and what does it mean?
I see you are using a great scope and components. I love all my NF scopes! And I have an embarrassing number of them! LOL!

Caiati, where did you get that handle and what does it mean?
I see you are using a great scope and components. I love all my NF scopes! And I have an embarrassing number of them! LOL!

I wish I had some cool story behind my handle but it's just my last name. I really do love my NF and most likely I'm probably overthinking this whole thing. Once my stock comes in and I get everything together it may feel and handle differently. Hopefully it'll be fine and I'll get to keep my NF.

Now you did it! Sooo, what stock and what action and calibre? And Heck yes, keep that sweeeeet NF ! They don't come any better! I have an embarrassing number of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts