Twist help

Coldfinger

I'm trying to figure out ideal twist rate. I'm looking to build a 6br lightweight. I want to shoot Berger 65 or 67 grain column bullets but be able to jump up to 75 grain. It's intended for coyote and eastern whitetail deer, 0-400 yards. I had a Montana 99 6xc with a 10 twist and it shot everything from 60-105 beautifully. Kreiger rep says I want a 13.5 twist so I'm getting confused. I just want it done right in one shot! Thanks for any input!

I'm trying to figure out ideal twist rate. I'm looking to build a 6br lightweight. I want to shoot Berger 65 or 67 grain column bullets but be able to jump up to 75 grain. It's intended for coyote and eastern whitetail deer, 0-400 yards. I had a Montana 99 6xc with a 10 twist and it shot everything from 60-105 beautifully. Kreiger rep says I want a 13.5 twist so I'm getting confused. I just want it done right in one shot! Thanks for any input!
Personally would go with the fastest twist that a 65-75gr bullet can handle. But still be able to go up to 100+ gr.
Why not just stay with a heavier bullet that will buck the wind better and longer range. That 6BR is awesome with 105gr with a 1:7.5. Just look at all the PRS shooters and most use a 6BR with a 105gr. That should tell you something.
Our .243 with a 1:10 shooting 85-100gr is awesome on deer.

I built a 22" long barrel 6 dasher with a 1-7" twist. I wanted to keep my options open for some of the 90-100 gr monos. Shoots the 105 Berger and 103 eldx very good as well.

Personally would go with the fastest twist that a 65-75gr bullet can handle. But still be able to go up to 100+ gr.
Why not just stay with a heavier bullet that will buck the wind better and longer range. That 6BR is awesome with 105gr with a 1:7.5. Just look at all the PRS shooters and most use a 6BR with a 105gr. That should tell you something.
Our .243 with a 1:10 shooting 85-100gr is awesome on deer.
Guess I'm just stubborn after having that 6xc with 10 twist. One of those man I wish I would have kept that deals. It's almost impossible to shoot beyond 300 yards in my area so wind isn't too much of a concern to me I'm always chasing speed tho and thinking of lighter bullet=faster powders LT32

my 243 is 9.25 twist and the Berger 68gr fb. have no issues with bullets coming apart even above 3500fps. so don't worry about a faster twist. If i was going to stick to cup and core a 10 twist is all you need, if monos or heavies are in the 105-115 class then 7.5 would be a better choice.

You already answered your question: The 10tw is right for you.
Barrel length, and MV, makes no difference to this.

image.jpg