Tuning for long range

I full length size. I clean outside of neck using 0000 steel wool. Clean outside of case with a clean rag and a splash of rubbing alcohol. Brush the inside of the necks. Dip the whole neck in graphite with the small ceramic beads from Redding. Then lube the case body with Imperial sizing wax and run thru the die. So in the end, I'm only using dry lube on the necks.
I do everything the same except the sizing wax and dry lube. Do you think that if I used hornady one shot instead of sizing lube on the outside that it would affect the graphite (it gets clumpy when wet)? I have the redding beads

Or just dip the base of the bullet in the powdered graphite. I do this. Less mess
On the necks and works the same.

From what I'm gathering if you have cleaned brass you could dip the bullet base into the graphite and get the same results as not cleaning the brass? Where do you get the graphite?

Thanks
idcwby

I measured base to ogive (?) using the hornady gage and have a precision rcbs match micrometer for putting bullet into the case. the bullets are all at different locations (base to ogive) do i have to adjust each bullet to get the same base to ogive distance so that distance off of the lands is the same???

Some guys sort bullets from base to ogive into batches. Depends on which brand of bullets your using and how wide your accuracy window is on seating depth. For Berger, I do not seat bullets and am within .0015 on each round. Hornady and Sierra are a different story.

I am using 168gr Hornady Match for use in .308 Winchester using a RCBS match bullet die in a Rockchucker press.
? Is there a more consistent "bullet" form (i.e., berger?).
? This sounds like a separate measurement of each bullet base to ogive?
? is there a bullet seating die that seats using ogive?

I think you might find Bergers more consistent. I know some like Sierra also.
Bob Green makes a comparator that seats off the ogive I believe for a specific bullet.

just measured 10 each of SMK (168), Hormady Match (168) and Berger VLD Hunting (185).
Berger .686-.688 weight 184.6 - 185.0
H Match .626 - .629 weight 169.5 - 168.1
SMK (40+ years old) .625-.628 weight 167.5 - 167.8
Berger most consistent length and SMK weight variance was the smallest.

10 Rounds i assembled a year ago measured base to ogive:
2.250 - 5
2.251 - 3
2.252 - 1
2.253 - 1

generally fine, but no where near the precision i am reading in these pages. I was able to see variances between readings on lengths, and see the wisdom in something more precise. my factory barrel i measured lands engaged at 2.333. I am not sure how much more length i can get and still keep a caliber worth of bullet in the casing.

I am getting .55" groups at 100 yards (need to find a longer range) so i may be getting all i can out of this set up without rebarreling.