Tuner Brake/Tuner Designs

Darryle

I don't want to start a ****ing match, I want to understand the advantages in certain designs of tuners. I see the micrometer style design seem to be more popular, but there are several different versions.

#1: Is there any distinct advantage to one any one style?

#2: Is there an advantage to having a separate tuner?

#3: Does the location of the tuner have an effect on it's effectiveness?

#4: Does the style of ports, radial versus horizontal, have an effect on effectiveness?

I know I am omitting several, there are just so many, but this covers the various designs with regard to the SVL donut

Strike Without Warning

Harrell Radial Tuner

Harrell Tactical

PVA

Beast Tuner

Insite Heathen

Raptor Tuner

EC Tuner

Hopefully this remains a respectful but informative discussion.

Thanks Darryle

No personal experience with tuner/brake combos but plenty of experience with tuners in general.

All tuners basically do the same thing...some have more authority than others generally based on weight. Some have dampening qualities...Ezell PDT comes to mind.

#3: Does the location of the tuner have an effect on it's effectiveness?

The obvious answer is yes.....think of tuners like real estate location location location.

I believe you missed the best of all tuners: Browning Boss
After all, it is actually designed for particular barrel attributes (theirs).
Other aftermarkets seem merely abstract add-ons.

Also, you should not lump muzzle breaks and tuners together. Totally separate/different functions.
You may have both, but good luck getting the best of both at once.
BOSS comes with or without a muzzle break, as many of the others do.

I've used self timing breaks as tuners as well as a Harrels. I've found that heavy tuners effect the group size with smaller changes in the settings.

A light tuner might need to move from setting 4 to setting 8 to see a change whereas a heavier tuner might see the same change moving from setting 5 to 7.

Darryle, I can speak to the EC tuner and I have had very good results with it. I now have two Tuner Brake combos. One is on a AR 10 and it definitely tightened up my groups. The Brake also worked very well.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any additional information.

I've ran the EC Tuner until I shot out that barrel and got the EC Tuner/Brake which is on my NRL Hunter rifle. I've not actually had to adjust the tuner but I see no reason why it wouldn't work exactly like the tuner only. I have two ATS tuners, one on a NRL22 rifle and one on my hunting rifle. They work as well. I've had a Harrells tuner brake but swapped over to the Without Warning tuner brake. They are heavy, the tuner locks in place and the brake is fantastic. The tuner works on that, too.

In short, the major difference for me is whatever has the best brake. I think they all 'tune' as well as each other.

I have an EC Tuner brake on my 280 Ackley and this is the kind of results with factory ammo I get.

A9F7656B-7D0E-42DB-9973-771FE3D4B578.jpeg

What I am curious about is the various types

Like this version, the Insite Arms Heathen

DAD7BAED-74AB-4014-A32D-F3C6AE24EC62.png

B3507E0F-7D07-48F3-99EF-F984906B221A.png

Or those with the tuner located on the inboard end and independent of the brake

65B19337-ED50-431A-87E4-5052081F18FA.jpeg

Then there is the radial style

59B8E8F1-5641-4365-9A05-A309F45AF030.png

I am thinking now, that brake style helps with recoil and the tuner squashes harmonics.

After I think about it, these were kind of a ignorant questions.

Thanks for the discussion none the less!

Darryle

Last edited:
#4: Does the style of ports, radial versus horizontal, have an effect on effectiveness?

I am thinking now, that brake style helps with recoil and the tuner squashes harmonics.

As a tuner or as a brake? If as a brake, very definite yes on design impacting function. Radial can be very ineffective as a brake - but so can any design with limited rearward sweep.

chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://store-iac7bmebd7.mybigcommerce.com/content/documents/GENERAL-MUZZLE-BRAKE-SAFETY-MEMORANDUM-1A.pdf

Please let me know - could it work on 300 Win Mag as much as it did on an AR 10? Thanks
I am confident it would, but I would send Erik Cortina an email just to get his opinion. He has several vids on YouTube as well. The brake was very effective as well. I shot a doe at about 280 yards and was able to keep the critter in the scope after the shot.

Last edited: