Barrel Tuner, Muzzle Brake or Suppressor or ?

Ace Quackhunter

I have finished my 338 mag. quarantine build and went to the range yesterday to see if it will print. The 180 BT are looking very promising, but the 225 Flat Base got my attention. Now I have some 160 FB and some 200 BT to load for the next range trip, but I discovered yesterday that I am a recoil "Wimp". Now, I am not recoil sensitive, but after 10 rounds of 180" followed by 10 rounds of 225, I did not want to shoot the 338 mag anymore so I finished my day with AR-10 and shot the best group ever. This morning, I awaken to a sore shoulder and thoughts of taming the 338 Mag. some how.

Here is everyone chance to give me their thoughts on this subject: Should I load down? or put something on the end of my barrel ? If so what do I want to add to the barrel? I have always shot straight barrel even on my custom builds so this is new territory for me, let me hear from everyone.

Thanks,

Ace

A muzzle brake is an excellent device to reduce felt recoil and muzzle rise. A suppressor does not reduce felt recoil as good as a well-designed muzzle brake but it is the best compromise for noise and recoil reduction. Both have pros and cons, I have them both and really like them.

ADDED: See #16 of https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/first-muzzle-device.240778/page-2

Last edited:
A muzzle brake is an excellent device to reduce felt recoil and muzzle rise. A suppressor does not reduce felt recoil as good as a well-designed muzzle brake but it is the best compromise for noise and recoil reduction. Both have pros and cons, I have them both and really like them.
I did this build to be a backup elk rifle, my 264 mag shoot great, but also weighs in at 12 lbs. I got the weight down to 8.5 lbs. for the the 338 by going with a short barrel and light weight stock. So that is part of the recoil issue when I was at the bench yesterday. Now If I add a break, what type and how much weight does it have? My thoughts of a suppressor for reducing noise come to mind as well, again what type and how much weight does it add?

I did this build to be a backup elk rifle, my 264 mag shoot great, but also weighs in at 12 lbs. I got the weight down to 8.5 lbs. for the the 338 by going with a short barrel and light weight stock. So that is part of the recoil issue when I was at the bench yesterday. Now If I add a break, what type and how much weight does it have? My thoughts of a suppressor for reducing noise come to mind as well, again what type and how much weight does it add?

You have plenty of choices on both. The suppressor will add the most weight and bulk on the muzzle. You will need to find the best compromise between weight, noise, felt recoil reduction, and of course, your budget for the suppressor + patience for the wait time.

If your barrel is already threaded, there are quite a few self-indexing MBs to choose from. I will send you a list via PM. Standby ...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.