Interchangeable Suppressor/Muzzle Brake?

BrowningBanger

Hey there guys,

I recently had the hankering to start looking into suppressors for a few of my rifles. The biggest question I have is this. When having a barrel threaded for a suppressor, is it possible/logical to have matching pitch and count of threads to accept a suppressor as well as a muzzle brake? I have become accustomed to having a brake, and would like all of my rifles to have one as time goes on, but would it be feasible to also have it match my suppressor threading when I acquire one? I understand the POI drawbacks of changing, but it comes down to the type of hunting/shooting I will be doing, and with what rifle. I'd love some input, as I have used the search feature and have been unable to answer this question.

V/R

Connor Hankinson
PFC, USA
EOD TEAM MEMBER

It is easy enough to pick a company you like, use the QD muzzle brake adapter, and you can use 1 silencer on multiple rifles with a quick swap.

I recently had the hankering to start looking into suppressors for a few of my rifles. The biggest question I have is this. When having a barrel threaded for a suppressor, is it possible/logical to have matching pitch and count of threads to accept a suppressor as well as a muzzle brake?

Yes, it's no usually no problem at all. Brakes and suppressors just have to use exactly the same thread dimensions. That's about all.
I'm using metric M 15 x 1 both for brake and suppressor, it's just screw on and off. :)

Doc., you might add as long as they are for the same caliber. Going from smaller to larger will be costly and dangerous!

Kind of. It depends on which direction you go. For instance you can buy the Surefire SFMB-762 Muzzle Brakes, and the Surefire 300 SPS or 762 RC and you can use those from 300 WM to 224. But you cannot buy the 556 and use it for the 308. So you could buy one silencer and use it for a lot of different rifles, but it will not work as well on smaller calibers.

Kind of. It depends on which direction you go. For instance you can buy the Surefire SFMB-762 Muzzle Brakes, and the Surefire 300 SPS or 762 RC and you can use those from 300 WM to 224. But you cannot buy the 556 and use it for the 308. So you could buy one silencer and use it for a lot of different rifles, but it will not work as well on smaller calibers.

That was what I was referring to. You can go from large to small but not the other way.As an example, a friend had a .338 Lapua sent to him with the wrong size brake installed from AI Rifles. A rookie installed a .308 brake on it. Luckily none of us were hurt but the brake was destroyed. Not something you look for on a fine rifle like an AI. Rifle was sent back and they were very concerned over this mistake. The rifle was not harmed and sent back to my friend for his customer. PS; I have a high regard for Corpsman. RVN-66-67-- I Corps, Camp Carroll.

That was what I was referring to. You can go from large to small but not the other way.As an example, a friend had a .338 Lapua sent to him with the wrong size brake installed from AI Rifles. A rookie installed a .308 brake on it. Luckily none of us were hurt but the brake was destroyed. Not something you look for on a fine rifle like an AI. Rifle was sent back and they were very concerned over this mistake. The rifle was not harmed and sent back to my friend for his customer. PS; I have a high regard for Corpsman. RVN-66-67-- I Corps, Camp Carroll.

I was in a little bit after you, multiple tours to Iraq. Still teaching Marines to shoot to this day :p

Do the suppressors reduce recoil any?

Yes they do. They increase MV and reduce recoil. By how much is extremely hard to measure. This is going to depend on the size of the suppressor, the type, the type of installation, if you are using it with the caliber it was built for, who made it, number of baffles, etc.

You will get about the same performance you get from a muzzle brake.

I was in a little bit after you, multiple tours to Iraq. Still teaching Marines to shoot to this day :p

You may catch some "friendly fire" for saying that. You know the pride the Marines take when shooting is the game.

My passion for shooting developed as a young Marine and is still with me. Rifle and pistol team shooting and finally deployed as a Sniper in RVN at the Rock Pile. My long loved passion for shooting paid off for me. I had the best job in the Marine Corps as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your skill as a shooter and most important your dedication to the Medical Corp and service to our country. You guys were and always will be a blessing to the Marine Corps. Without you and yours a lot of us would not be here today.

You may catch some "friendly fire" for saying that. You know the pride the Marines take when shooting is the game.

My passion for shooting developed as a young Marine and is still with me. Rifle and pistol team shooting and finally deployed as a Sniper in RVN at the Rock Pile. My long loved passion for shooting paid off for me. I had the best job in the Marine Corps as far as I'm concerned.

Thanks for your skill as a shooter and most important your dedication to the Medical Corp and service to our country. You guys were and always will be a blessing to the Marine Corps. Without you and yours a lot of us would not be here today.

You know how much we love our Marines. As an old buddy of mine put it "When you stop joking around Doc, I know its serious, so just give me the good stuff." You did have a great job, but I am a firm believer I had the best job in the Marine Corps. I got to shoot all the weapons you could dream of, and then you guys got to clean them after I was done! Can't go to the range without your doc, and I don't go to the range unless I shoot too! Plus I stood watch just like everyone else, so it wasn't uncommon in Iraq that I was the guy unloading down range, or getting to put rounds through a nice m40.

You know how much we love our Marines. As an old buddy of mine put it "When you stop joking around Doc, I know its serious, so just give me the good stuff." You did have a great job, but I am a firm believer I had the best job in the Marine Corps. I got to shoot all the weapons you could dream of, and then you guys got to clean them after I was done! Can't go to the range without your doc, and I don't go to the range unless I shoot too! Plus I stood watch just like everyone else, so it wasn't uncommon in Iraq that I was the guy unloading down range, or getting to put rounds through a nice m40.

Funny you mention an M-40 for a couple reasons. 1, I never got to fire one while deployed. It was introduced as I was rotating back to the World in March 1967. ( I used the fine Win. Mod. 70 In 30/06) 2, I am in the process of getting a Remington version of one In 300 win. Mag. ready to shoot. We both had the best jobs in the Marine Corps. Yours was far more detailed than mine for sure. Both were important in their respective descriptions.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.