Trying to help a buddy.

jsali

A buddy of mine is trying to get into the shooting game. Now the guy's wife has him by the you know what's so cheap is the word of the day. I have managed to convince him to get a savage model 12 in .308, this should give him an accurate enough gun. However I'm having a hell of a time helping him on his scope. I have heard that the Bushnell 3200 fixed 10x40 is a good entry level scope. Try to remember that cheap is the word. I would like to help him get into shooting (god knows I can always use more shooting buddies) but he is whipped something fierce, so I don't think I will be able to get him into anything more expensive than the Bushnell. Anybody have any suggestions?

P.S. This gun will likely not see competition but will be used as primarily a medium range hunting rifle.

[ QUOTE ]
he is whipped something fierce...Anybody have any suggestions?

[/ QUOTE ]

Counceling. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

How far is medium range for him and on what size critters (0 - 200 yards, 100 - 400, 200 - 800)? Chucks and ground hogs or deer and elk? Does he need a rugged scope or does he go pretty easy on his gear?

He'll probably be fairly easy on his gear barring any unfortunate accidents (murphy's law type stuff), and shooting at deer and moose out to 600 yards or so.

Johnny5,

Check out the Super Sniper 10x-42mm mild dot.

They are sold on www.swfa.com

This scope will run $299 but it is alot of scope for the money. I would not get the side focus as I have heard they are not as good a scope, plus they are another $100 in price.

The Super Sniper would take him well out to 1000 yards without the need for special bases.

If this is to much money, the 3200 may be a good place to look.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If you want a good scope for the money a Bushnell Legend 5-15x40 Mildot is a great scope. I have two of them and I could not see a difference between this scope and the Elite I had so the Elite went back.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true

If you do not like that scope I would try a Nikon Buckmaster 4.5x14x40 that is also a good scope for the money.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templa...&hasJS=true

To me a 10x scope does not cut it past 300 yards but that is just me. Good Luck and tell your buddy to get his balls out of his wife's purse. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eaglet,

I have not seen the Mueller Tactical so I can not give you an opinion on that one.

I will say that a variable running under $200 would make me a bit suspicious. Not saying this is not a usable scope but with this level of pricing I would expect there to be some areas in the scope that would not be as consistant as a fixed power in this price range.

Mainly, I suspect you will see POI shifts with power change. This is a fact of life to some degree with all variables, how much greatly depends on the quality of the scope and at under $200, I suspect you may see some significant POI changes on different powers.

Again though I have not tested this scope so I have no idea to its quality.

Kirby Allen(50)

[ QUOTE ]
A buddy of mine is trying to get into the shooting game. Now the guy's wife has him by the you know what's so cheap is the word of the day. I have managed to convince him to get a savage model 12 in .308, this should give him an accurate enough gun. However I'm having a hell of a time helping him on his scope. I have heard that the Bushnell 3200 fixed 10x40 is a good entry level scope. Try to remember that cheap is the word. I would like to help him get into shooting (god knows I can always use more shooting buddies) but he is whipped something fierce, so I don't think I will be able to get him into anything more expensive than the Bushnell. Anybody have any suggestions?

P.S. This gun will likely not see competition but will be used as primarily a medium range hunting rifle.

[/ QUOTE ] I recommend he saves his money for a good divorce lawyer. LIFE is way to short to put up with that kind of crap. I recommend he buy a S&B in the two grand range and tell her to get over it!

[ QUOTE ]
I recommend he saves his money for a good divorce lawyer. LIFE is way to short to put up with that kind of crap. I recommend he buy a S&B in the two grand range and tell her to get over it!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yea what he said /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seems like scopes last longer then wifes these days LMAO

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.