Trying to lighten the load

Blacktail63

I have a 28Nosler that shoots lights out. It's set up in a Win 70 express walnut stock, 3x18 VX6, Farrell steel 20MOA rail and Warne steel rings. It shoots real well as is but tilts the scale at near 11lbs ready to hunt. I have an older light weight Micky that'll shave 8oz. and I'm thinking I might change over the mounting system to something lighter. The Farrell steel rail weighs a pound alone. Originally I was worried about recoil and a heavy scope but the rifle is braked and I ended up with the lighter VX6. I don't think I utilize the 20MOA rail because I get to 1K yards with just 18MOA. What I'd like opinions on are optional mounting systems that'll save me some weight but not sacrifice to much in strength. The action is a post '64 magnum(375H&H, 300RUM). It's a little harder to find bases for. I'm considering Talley lightweight one piece mounts. Any other ideas?
Thanks

Blacktail,

I have a similar setup, mine is a factoy Model 70 Sharpshooter 7mm STW with a VX-6 3-18x 50mm on it. I had trouble finding a mount that would work too, as this is built on the magnum action with the rear mount being the .330 spacing.

The Talley's would work, as I use them on my other M70 rifles (featherweights). Compared to other mounts, they are very light. They are strong, as they use a high quality aluminum(7075). These should stand up to what ever your 28 Nosler can put out.

Another option is using the Extreme Hardcore Gear Picatinny Tru Level mount. This mount is made of 7075 Aluminum. This is what I went for on my 7mm STW. The level is hard to see, but I did not buy it for that. I also put on Burris Signature Rings, but a nice Al ring would work fine. i was thinking of some Nightforce Ultra Lites or something along those lines too.

If possible, you can also change out your bottom metal to a aluminum PTG unit. This will save some weight too. If your bottom metal is currently a 2 bolt setup, it is a quick change. If its a 3 bolt system, you will need to do some work on the stock to inlet for the new bottom metal. I did this also on the STW.

Hope this gives some ideas. If you have any questions, let me know.

Bill

Blacktail63,

When I made a light / heavy rifle I used a Pierce titanium action, Christensen carbon barrel with a light Sendero contour (.925" at muzzle), Talley lightweights, Leupold VX-6 4-24X34 (34mm tube), Hastings Micro-cell 1.26" recoil pad (2.9 oz), Terminator 3 brake. What made it my heavy rifle is the 7RUM case necked to 6.5mm. Ready to go it weighed 8lb. The rings gave me no problems.

I would also add a vote for Burris Signature rings with dual dove tail bases. They are **** stout. Or I've used Talley screw lock mounts. I was told they are Talleys strongest mounts. I put them on a 6lb .340wby and scope has never budged.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts