Trying to decide on caliber

I see a noticebly greater impact with the 338 wm vs the 30 wm with factory ammo. The 215 Berger in the 300wm I suspect helps level the playing field. I recommend the 7rm or 300 prc to anyone new enuff to the game to ask. After they lose their first bull, if ever, they understand why I shoot 300 gr Bergers @ 2850-3000 fps. Eliminate all the variables you can.

Since you have a 6.5 PRC, I'm surprised you didn't mention the 300 PRC. I Agree with others that the 6.5 PRC would be great for most elk hunting. I shoot the 264 Win Mag, which is very similar. However, I have an outfitter that strongly requested that I go with a 30 Cal or a bigger for cost canyon shots over 400 yards. Rather than argue the point, I went with a 300 PRC in a 1:8 twist.

In lieu of getting a lot of random responses I suggest you gather the thoughts of three well established, contemporary experts. Layne Simpson, Wayne Van Zwole and Craig Boddington all have numerous books out as well are countless magazine articles published, many of which are available online. If you really want to start a fist fight consult the works of Elmer Keith and Jack O'Conner.

I haven't read all this which seems like it degraded quite a bit. Of the three you mentioned I would do the 300 WSM. The other two aren't substantially larger capability than the 6.5 PRC. Just load the 6.5 PRC heavy and you're a approaching a lateral move to the 280 imp and 7 SAUM. With the 300 WSM at least it's a 30 cal. If you are going to add a larger capacity rifle it should be a more noticeable step IMO. I would echo the 300 PRC or maybe the 338. My personal two rifle setup are 6.5 CM and 300 PRC though I would seriously consider the 6.5 PRC if the light rifle would allow it (Kimber 84m is too small for a PRC).

Last edited:
The Scandinavians are shooting Moose at 75 yds!
And a great great uncle (or something) brought more than one down with a .22 hornet to the ear during an especially desperate time somewhere back in
"The good old days" when things were bad enough here that it was kill with whatever you have or let your kids go hungry. Doesn't mean the .22 hornet is an ideal moose cartridge! 😂

But the 7 SAUM is so sexy! The OP obviously wants another rifle, just cuz, with at least a little more umph than his 6.5PRC. A 30 would be a bigger, maybe better jump from a power standpoint, but then there's the recoil etc. If he plans on shooting it for fun, the 7 SAUM might give more overall enjoyment. Personally my next will probably be a 6.5 or 7SAUM even though I already have a 7RM.

338WM best elk pill ever! 😁
Plenty of elk have fallen to more moderate calibers than your 6.5PRC. With good bullets, good shooting conditions, and decent aim you can clearly get the job done with your current set up. Once you refine your probable hunting conditions and shooting distances you can better choose a cartridge to match. If you want to go bigger than 6.5, then jump up to .338/.340 big. I agree with HTJ that .338 WM is a great Elk cartridge. From Alaska to Africa it handles the larger animals very well.

I like the .30cal's. 30-06 or if your not recoil sensitive the .300wm. If you are recoil sensitive the .308 works fine as well. All 3 you can get cartridges for anywhere in the world. My $0.02.

I have a 6.5prc for antelope and deer, next is to get an elk specific rifle. Looking at 300wsm, 280ai, or 7saum?? Thoughts?
Not mentioned but really good Longdistance hunting is the 28 Nosler, I got the 28 then the 6.5 prc. Really like both. I hand load and was able to get supplies before they got crazy

I have a 6.5prc for antelope and deer, next is to get an elk specific rifle. Looking at 300wsm, 280ai, or 7saum?? Thoughts?
Well all facts considered you already have a rifle that will do Elk in your 6.5 PRC so just upgrade you ammo, zero in your rifle and aim just as carefully as you would with any of the cartridges you mentioned above. If I just wanted another rifle for Elk, which for me another rifle to play or hunt with is always fun I would opt more for conventional calibers where the ammunition is pretty much always available somewhere without having to do a world wide search or carry your reloading equipment along with you. While there are any variety of new rifles and cartridges out there the ammunition available issue makes a lot of them un-desireable as far as I am concerned. My choices would be of course the 300 Win Mag and the 7mm Rem Mag. Both proven Elkworthy by thousands of hunters and able to get out and touch an Elk and put it down at extended ranges which all here so seem to prefer. If recoil is an issue, a good recoil pad and a good muzzle brake tame the recoil to a quite comfortable level. Yes, I know among this group maybe not fashionable but proven completely up to the task at hand which is putting down an Elk.