trying to build rifle

longrangegunner52

I am trying to build a long range rifle. I already have the action. It is a rem 700 adl it is the rifle and all but i want to make it into a tackdriver. Any suggestions on what to do would like to know a price range to. This will be the first one i build. And places to get the products from. Also a gunsmiths name would be nice to.

Thanks a bunch

What kind of long range tack driver??

A light conventional carry hunting rifle?
A heavy long range rifle.
Tactical (tough) components (gonna be heavy)
Varmint weight/style??
Benchrest??

What kind of finish on the rifle? Bare stainless barrel?

My rifles weigh in the 13 to 17 pound range but a lot of that is bipod, heavy rings and bases (tactical), heavy scope. I like my stuff real tough cuz I'm sort of a klutz and don't want my hunt ended the first time I fall out of a tree or skid down a shale slid, or go swimming in the muskeg.

i just had a sendero reworked by www.rwhart.com now it is the tack driver that remington said it was.shoots as good as you make it shoot.the work was great and fast.i can't wait to have them do another rifle.they gave it the works now it has no recoil and shoot great its a 338 RUM .i push a 250 sbt or smk at 3100 with no pressure problems at all thanks,keith

i want it to be heavy barreled, and blued finished i don't want any fluting on the barrel the over all weight around 10 - 13 lbs. It's main function will be for 100 to 500 yard shots in fields on whitetale.

Is that a long action or a short action?
if it is a short action I would suggest 260AI 1-8, or 308 1-10, or 7mmsaum 1-9.
If it is a long action I would suggest
280AI 1-9, 7mmwsm 1-9, 7mmum 1-9.
as far as barrels go.

krieger and broughton my favorites. www.rifle-barrels.com broughton www.kriegerbarrels.com www.pac-nor.com www.riflebarrels.com lilja www.hartbarres.com

As far as gunsmiths I would have to suggest Me.
grin.gif

barrels 200$to 400$
blueprinted action 100$
barrel instilation 140$
piller bedding 120$
guaranteed .5MOA with reloads if all gunsmithing is done by me.

good luck on the rifle
smile.gif

308 Nate

[email protected]

[ 08-10-2004: Message edited by: 308 nate ]

Longrangegunner52,

If one of my customer came into my shop looking to build this kind of rifle, this is what I would recommend to them.

First off, you have the perfect action for such a project. I much prefer the ADL stock over the BDL for extreme accuracy work.

I would recommend fully printing the action.

I would also go with Lilja #7 contoured barrel in chrome moly because of your preference for the blued barrel.

Stock wise, I would select two or three different brands and let you decide which you liked best.

On the economical side, yo have the H-S which is a very stable stock when properly set up. I have build several rifles of this design that shot into the 1's and 2's using H-S stocks. They run in the $275-$300 range.

The bad thing with a synthetic stock is that it is not ballanced well for a heavy barreled rifle. It will not set solid in the bags compared to a weighted synthetic or a laminated stock.

My first choice for a laminated stock for any Rem action are Hollands Signature laminated stock. They run in the mid $300 range but are worth every penny in my mind, especially when combined with his pillar bedding system.

THe top of the line would be a balanced McMillan which will run you close to $400 but again they are the top of the line.

Another very important addition would be to fit an aftermarket recoil Lug. I use the Holland Comp Recoil Lugs as they are much thicker and stronger then the factory lug and a must for an extreme accuracy rifle.

As for chambering, The 280 AI is a good one but for whitetail out to 500 yards, my favorite reamer is my 257 STW.

This baby will drive the 100 gr XLC to 4100 fps and is flatter then nearly any other round out to 500 yards with plenty of energy to drop any whitetail at that range and beyond.

Accuracy wise, I do not put a guarantee on my rifles, if they do not shoot 1/2 moa when I range test them they simply do not go out the door. In fact, I would be less then happy if one of my full custom rifles did not print 1/4 moa groups at the range test.

Price wise, I charge the following for my services:

Action blue-printing $125
Barrel fitting/chambering $125
Holland recoil Lug $30
Trigger job $40
Bedding $60
add $40 for pillar bedding
Blueing $60

Hope this helps!!

Good SHooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)
Allen Precision Shooting

kidcoltoutlaw im glad to here that you were satif. with hart i have a rem adl 2506 with hs stock being accu.there now should be back today or tomm. excited to see how it shoots your post punped me up thanks
wink.gif

hart is the way to go .done fast and done right the first time.im shooting 5 inch groups at 800 yards without sand bag and off of the roof of my car.i do use a pack to shoot from.if i can stop being lazy and drag out the br pivot bench and the sinclair rifle rest i will find out just how good i am .i already know the rifle is great .208 at 117 yards thanks,keith

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.