Trying to choose a rifle

I've been thinking about the howa and the savage 110 tactical. Obviously I would change the stock and probably the trigger. Which of the two are better?
Between those two, the Savage 110.
I can't agree with this. I don't think either gives up anything to the other. Pick the feature set that works the best for you and don't worry about either brand. They're both excellent.

I bought a new rifle last year for this years hunting and we did not get drawn. So I have a new rifle that will have to wait another year to use. I went with the 28 nosler rely enjoy shooting it. Flat shooting

I'm looking for a rifle, I'm looking at the Ruger American rifles as well as the Remington 700 (long range and sps tactical). I'm looking at the 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 30-06, and the 300 win mag.

I have access to hunt on a farm with a max of 600 yards, there's a couple 1000+ yard ranges close by. I plan to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes.

What do yall suggest.

If you are looking to hunt coyotes, I guess you are not worried about the pelts because all of the calibers you're mentioned with be real fur destroyers. Deer and hogs with mentioned calibers are good if held within their reasonable ranges. I'd look at a 22-250 or something in that ballpark for the song dogs If you want the fur and intend to shoot them at longer ranges. jmo

I've been looking at the .280 AI for a rebarrel job on one of my guns. That would be a good one for you. They are making some good factory stuff for that one now as well.

I'm looking for a rifle, I'm looking at the Ruger American rifles as well as the Remington 700 (long range and sps tactical). I'm looking at the 6.5 creedmoor, 308, 30-06, and the 300 win mag.

I have access to hunt on a farm with a max of 600 yards, there's a couple 1000+ yard ranges close by. I plan to hunt deer, hogs, and coyotes.

What do yall suggest.
Starting off with a heavy hitting .300 Win Mag you'd run the risk of picking up a bad habit (recoil sensitivity) Nothing wrong with the 6.5CM it would serve you well for a long time and afford you the opportunity to get a good feel for shooting without developing any bad habits...bad habits are hard to break. Then after you're comfortable with shooting maybe step up the the 30/06 or .300WM.... No harm in adding a new gun to the collection.. ;-)

You may not need to change the stock on the Savage. The new AccuFit system looks pretty darn slick. I've got an older Accustock, and the way it grips the receiver is quite good. With the adjustability of the new system, it might be a plug and play system.

I also would give a thumbs up on a Savage. I bought a 300WM a few years ago, shot it out, rebarreled it with OEM, shot it out again, then rebarreled with a Shilen pre-fit. The ability to re-barrel easily is a major plus for the Savage system.

In fact, I'm happy enough with Savage, that I just purchased another one.

As an aside, they've got a $100 rebate going for AccuFit models, which ends Nov 31st. I saw the 110 Desert Tactical in 300WM for right around $570 at a couple online shops, so $470 if you buy soon. That's a heck of a lot of gun for the price.
Thanks for the rebate info!!!

So I've been reading and I'm thinking about the Ruger American predator/hunter (I like the magpul stock) a Savage 110 tactical, and a Howa with heavy barrel. I like the tikka rifles but a little more then I'm wanting to spend on a rifle (I'm sure its worth it) I'm leaning towards a 308 or 6.5 creedmoor or similar short action cartridge. I'm thinking my max hunting shots will be around 300 yards or less. Still plan to shoot further for target.

I've torn my left rotator cuff twice and have bursitis in both shoulders since I sold my 7mm, I was able to shoot my brothers rifles this afternoon. His 7mm was too much for my shoulders, but his 308 was enjoyable to shoot.
If all you going to shoot is 300 yards at game I'd vote the 30-06. So many ammo companies to chose from and will kill any thing in North America. Recoil is little more than a .308 and the ability to choose so many different bullet that one can become overloaded. Sometime we can get caught up with shinny new toys but the ol 06 for everyday hunting is hard to beat.

If all you going to shoot is 300 yards at game I'd vote the 30-06. So many ammo companies to chose from and will kill any thing in North America. Recoil is little more than a .308 and the ability to choose so many different bullet that one can become overloaded. Sometime we can get caught up with shinny new toys but the ol 06 for everyday hunting is hard to beat.
Preach!!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.