Trueing the action?

Fiftydriver,

Wow! Thank you for all the information. You anwsered my question. To be honest with you, a lot of the stuff you said is a little over my head. I am a newbie, but I really appriciate all you had to say. I am off to Camp Clark, MO tommorrow morning to shoot the M-16 A2. It will be lots of fun. Wish me luck. Thanks once again for the help and info. I'll talk to you later.

Knappy

Goodgrouper,

Well here goes.

This is what we start out with. This is a Rem 700 reciever but it basically holds true for most modern receivers.

242791.jpg

242803.jpg

242794.jpg

On the bolt you can actually see the poor lug contact on the top lug and the damage on the bottom surface.

242797.jpg

Here the receiver is fitted into the accurizing fixture. You can see the two sets of four adjustment screws in the front and rear of the fixture used to dial the receiver in perfectly to the axis of the bolt way.

The fixture is chucked up in a four jaw chuck and the visible run out of the fixture has been adjusted out. The precision mandrel is shown protruding from the receiver. This receiver is not to have the bolt sleeved so the mandrel is riding in properly fitted bushings in the front and rear of the receiver.

The dialing in process has started by using the 0.001" indicators to dial in the receiver.

242798.jpg

After the mandrel is dialed in to less then 0.001", the coarse 0.001" dial indicators are replaced with the fine 0.0001" indicators and the receiver is dialed in until the needles simply do not move. This can take considerable time but is well worth the effort in the end result.

242799.jpg

Here are the results of a freshly cut set of receiver threads. These threads are single point cut using a matching set of full profile thread cutters. These special cutters cut only a specific thread pitch and a new set is needed for each different thread. Also they are in a matched set so that the internal threads on teh receiver perffectly match the external threads on the barrel shank for a perfect class 3 thread fit which is critical for extreme performance.

242800.jpg

Step two, recut the bolt locking lug recesses. The receiver is still soaked in cutting oil but it is clear that the locking recess is totally clean and has a high quality machined finish ready for lapping which will only take a few minutes with a receiver printed in this manor.

242802.jpg

This is the finished receiver after the receiver face is inside chamfered and trued. The receiver is now ready to build on after bolt lapping but first the bolt needs to be accurized as well.

242804.jpg

Here the bolt has been fitted with the precision arbor in the rear of the bolt body and inserted into the 6 jaw chuck. The bolt nose surface, bolt nose diameter, front surface of the bolt lug and rear surface of the bolt lug have all been trued.

The collar has also been fitted and turned true to the axis of the firing pin hole. The steady rest is then used to support the collar and bolt so that the bolt face can be trued.

242807.jpg

Here is the freshly trued bolt face. Only taking enough to totally clean up the bolt face. This is generally around one or two thousandths at most.

242808.jpg

This is the finished bolt. You can see the difference in the finish of the forward surface of the recoil lug compared to the bolt face. The forward lug surface is not a baring surface, only cut for consistant and accurate clearance to the barrel recess. The bolt face on the other hand is a friction surface and as such is cut to a very high quality finish to reduce friction with the case head when closing the bolt on snug cases.

242811.jpg

242812.jpg

This is the finished product. This receiver did not have the bolt sleeved to the customers request. One the receiver gets to this point, measurements are taken from the closed bolt face to the forward edge of the recoil lug.

This measurement combines all the critical dimensions except the axis of the receiver threads to give a measurement of how square the machining is.

These critical surfaces are:

1. Forward surface of the recoil lug
2. Rear surface of the recoil lug
3. Face of the receiver
4. Receiver bolt lug recess
5. Bolt lug locking surface
6. Bolt face.

If any of these are out of square it will show up very visibly on this measurement. Four measurements are taken on the four corners of the bolt face. All need to be within 0.0001" or the receiver is not ready to lap and buld on.

If this turns out I will be amazed.

Lets see.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Just got a Rem 700 LTR 308win today. Question please. Are these rifles machined a little better than their standard hunting firearms or could they stand for a good dose of truing as well?

Also whats the cost to true the action per your specs and add a holland reciol lug and set barrel back "about" .120 which should be close to two threads which should be enough to reindex barrel, cleanup chamber and shorten factory throat?

or is this not needed for their LTR? thanks for help and input. also whats turnaround time?

If you prefur not to post price would ya E-mail me at [email protected] Thanks, Ben /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Shadowman,

I have played with a few of the custom shop Rem 700s and I have to admit that I have not seen much difference in quality control compared to the standard production rifles.

Again, some are decent, some are not so good and some should not have left the factory in my opinion.

I will say the 40x is an exception to this rule. THey are generally built very square from what I have seen. I have not been able to get into an LTR enough to say how they stand quality control wise.

Besides the 40x rifles, I have yet to see a Rem 700 that did not benefit from a quality accurizing. Problem is that to do this right you either have to rebarrel the rifle or cut off the factory barrel shank and refit the factory barrel.

This is because to straighten the receiver threads they need to be recut and this opens up the diameter of the threads adn they will not fit the factory threads. Not truing the receiver threads on an accurizing job would be like putting a $3000 paint job on a rusted car. IT would look nice but the inner problems would still ruin the project.

Also, If a customer wants to accurize a rifle properly, I highly recommend rebarreling with a custom true match grade barrel. The factory pipe can be machined true but your still dealing with a factory barrel which may not perform up to the fitting of the accurizing job. In that case you just spent alot of money for little improvement when you could have slent just a bit more and added a custom barrel and get results that would be amazing.

I do not like to spend hard earned money on machining and accurizing that is dependent on a factory barrel. To much potential for poor results.

If your rifle shoots up to your standards now I would say shoot it until the barrel is tired and then rebarrel it and have it fully accurized.

If the rifle does not shoot as well as you want, again, I recommend a full accurization and rebarreling.

I will e-mail you my prices and turn around times.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

If you can afford it right now, listen to Kirby (Fiftydriver) and have the action trued (by someone like Kirby. I mean look at his processing steps. Not all gunsmiths go to the extent he does). Then, like Kirby says, have a high end barrel put on there (blanks generally run $270 to $300 and worth every single penny) such as broughton or lilja. It will be the best and certainly the funnest firearm investment you have ever made. You will put a few hundred more dollars into it, but I guarantee you, you will see improvement.

fiftydriver, i have a rem 700bdl .30-06 from @1980 that i learned to reload for.this is just what i am looking into.i'm impressed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif i am saving my lunch money now!can you also send me your pricelist and turnaround time?i'm in!
[email protected]
anybody that takes that much time to explain those fine details,gets my project! thanks

Kirby,
Please send me your price list for going through the Remington 700's.

pbppc at txucom.net

Thanks,

Bucknutz,

Thanks for the kind words, I send off the e-mail to you.

Really though, there are alot of quality smiths out there, there are several on this board alone. We all just want you the customers to get informed before you invest this amount of money on a rifle. If it is built properly you will for get the price tag the first trip to the range. If it is built poorly, you will be very unhappy and that gives all custom rifle builders trouble because the customer is unwilling to trust us on the next rifle.

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Fiftydriver, I read where you mentioned sleaving the bolt in your explination of truing the action. What does that do for the action and what are the benifits of doing it.

Thanks again.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.