True up, Rebarrel Rem 700 or Trade for Savage

scsims

Was planning on taking my .243 VLS and having it trued and rebarreled to a .260 rem.

But my sons .308 model 10 Savage shoots so well that I've started thinking maybe if I should trade the Remington for a Savage .260 and go from there?

What do you all think?

It's going to cost about the same. The savage might be a little cheaper depending on what barrel you get for the rem and what your smith charges. I also think they will shoot the same, although the trued up rem will probably shoot a little better depending on your smiths skills. Another thing to consider is you can do a lot of work on the savage yourself. It's a personal preference for you at this point. You're not really losing if you go either way. I think we as shooters are blessed since we have flexibility in picking so many good rifles for our needs.

I like the feel of a remy action but I don't even shoot mine anymore. I go straight to my savages. I have not had any issues with any of mine and they shoot freaky well. I just bought some barrels and stocks and have the tools to re-work them. I see no reason to go back to remy, EXCEPT you already have 1. If you have a good smith, true it, barrel it, shoot it. It will be about the same cost wise and will shoot as well perhaps better with an aftermarket barrel. In this case you are doing 2 of 3 things remy owners do, Barrel, Truing. The only thing left is a good trigger. If you have the trigger already the cost is probably equal. If not, 250, 250, 500-600.... 1000 to 1100 for a remy ready to shoot. Model 10 is what 900-1100?

sell the Remington! It'll never run with a good Savage right out of the box without spending another $1200. Of course you could simply buy a large bolt face PTA action, and a good custom barrel for about $900. Then figure about $400 for a high end stock that's bedded. You can't even get close to that with the Remington. But you could also simply order in a LRPV in .260, and still be way ahead in the game. (around $1200)
gary

Another Savage option is to purchase the parts from Northland Shooter supply and a match barrel from Shilen, Criterion, etc and put it together yourself. You would learn a lot and have a match barrel for the cost of the LRPV.

sell the Remington! It'll never run with a good Savage right out of the box without spending another $1200. Of course you could simply buy a large bolt face PTA action, and a good custom barrel for about $900. Then figure about $400 for a high end stock that's bedded. You can't even get close to that with the Remington. But you could also simply order in a LRPV in .260, and still be way ahead in the game. (around $1200)
gary

I have a bone stock 700 5R .308 and this afternoon at the range I shot a .313" 3-shot group... Pretty strong for something that "won't run with a Savage out of the box"...

AB48B6A0-DAD9-46A6-B023-138A8F8923EA_zpswuk9l9sx.jpg

0C5D3AC4-60C6-4C21-A9F5-7504C5F715F7_zpsdgda1vvt.jpg

If you are interested in extreme accuracy then go Remington. A Savage can shoot sub 1/2" but it's tough to get them to shoot much better than that.
Now before anyone screams I've seen time and time again, guys come to our Benchrest matches with their Savages claiming how well they shoot, after match two or three if they are still shooting, they are pretty quiet or commenting their load isn't right. A trued Remington can compete right along side any custom action with one exception. Smoothness of the cycling of the bolt.
Now if anyone wants to argue all I can say is come to my range and shoot in a match and the proof is in the targets.

Besides all this a Savage is downright ugly, but then again "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

With that said I do own a Savage, it is a ML-11 Muzzleloader with an after market 45 caliber McGowan barrel.

I have a savage lrp in 6.5 creed. Shoots good. Close to 1/2 moa. I also have a couple customs and trued rem 700's. Custom barrels have always shot better then my best factory guns. I'd take the rem and re-barrel without question, throw a timney in there while your at it. You'll have a better gun in the
end without the nasty feeling loose stiff savage bolt. Custom barrel will be easier to clean too.

Nice group mud the 5r's are probably the best factory barrels out there. I've had one in 308 and one in 300wm they were both fantastic shooters that didn't foul much at all. They are dam hard to beat. Took a defiance action with a benchmark barrel to do it. Not more accurate but I get more accuracy before I need to clean it (longer shot strings) fouls even less then 5r's did and they were not bad. Nothing like the lrp I have it leaves almost as much copper in the barrel as makes it to the target.:)

I'm also not a big fan of accutriggers they just feel weird. Shoot a gun with a Jewell or timney at the same time as an accutrigger and you'll see what I mean.

If you are interested in extreme accuracy then go Remington. A Savage can shoot sub 1/2" but it's tough to get them to shoot much better than that.
Now before anyone screams I've seen time and time again, guys come to our Benchrest matches with their Savages claiming how well they shoot, after match two or three if they are still shooting, they are pretty quiet or commenting their load isn't right. A trued Remington can compete right along side any custom action with one exception. Smoothness of the cycling of the bolt.
Now if anyone wants to argue all I can say is come to my range and shoot in a match and the proof is in the targets.

Besides all this a Savage is downright ugly, but then again "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

With that said I do own a Savage, it is a ML-11 Muzzleloader with an after market 45 caliber McGowan barrel.

Truc nailed it, I agree completely I've seen the same thing. Sometimes the savages start out strong and foul so bad that half way threw the match they're all over the target. I've heard every excuse there is. Put a custom barrel on one and eliminate that problem but that still leaves you with there lacking looks, the worst feeling bolt cycle in the industry and the weird accutrigger feel. The only thing they have going is the ease of re-barrel. To each they're own though and I still own one savage. I just can't decide if I should keep it. Every time I go shoot I never hesitate passing it up to take a custom or Remington.

Feenix, it's not a contest between a professional shooter vs me. It's about gun vs gun. Now, not bragging, but I'm not a half-bad marksman, but I'm certainly not a pro.

All I was saying by posting my group from yesterday was that my bone-stock factory 5R 700 CAN shoot some serious groups. A .313" hole, is virtually 1 ragged hole for a .308 caliber bullet. The last time I had a gun that would shoot like that was my custom .308 that I had built. Finding that kind of accuracy out of a factory gun, regardless of brand, is pretty impressive in my book.

I was simply demonstrating that a stock Rem 700 CAN indeed hang in there with a Savage.

Nice group mud the 5r's are probably the best factory barrels out there. I've had one in 308 and one in 300wm they were both fantastic shooters that didn't foul much at all. They are dam hard to beat. Took a defiance action with a benchmark barrel to do it. Not more accurate but I get more accuracy before I need to clean it (longer shot strings) fouls even less then 5r's did and they were not bad. Nothing like the lrp I have it leaves almost as much copper in the barrel as makes it to the target.:)
Thanks Shane. Yeah, mine seems to shoot better with a dirty and warm barrel for some reason. LOL

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.